Using a Mailbox for Storing Garden Tools

Category Garden & Yard
maibox in garden
Decorate an old mailbox and create a great place to store your gardening gloves and tools. This is a guide about using a mailbox for storing garden tools.

Hand painted decorated mailbox for storing hand garden tools and garden gloves outside.

Approximate Time: 2 1/2 hours

Instructions:

We recently put up a new mailbox and I wanted to recycle the old box. I spray painted the box black. Then I free hand painted flowers, etc. on the box sides, front, and back.

I then stenciled "Sherrye's Garden Tools" on the top. I then sprayed the box with polyethylene to make it weather resistant as it will be sitting on the back porch.

I already had all the supplies on hand so it only cost me my time. I will put my hand garden tools, etc. and my garden gloves in the box.

I think it turned out really cute. It only took me a couple of hours and it was fun.

By Sherrye from GA

I probably saw this in a magazine, but a good way to use an old mailbox (the long kind that stands on the post at the end of the driveway) is to keep it on a post in your garden, and put your small hand tools, seeds, gloves, etc. inside of it for convenience. You can repaint the old mailbox with flowers, vines, veggies, whatever. It looks really cute!

By Ness

Garden Mailbox
Use A Garden Mailbox To Store Tools

Mailbox in garden to keep gardening tools handy and dry. And it's cute

By Kalene from Oregon City, Oregon

Answers:

Garden Mailbox

It's super cute! Great idea! (12/11/2008)

By Kendy

Garden Mailbox

I've got one of those in my garden, too. It's bright yellow with a red flag. Right now, it's barely peeking out of the snow. (12/11/2008)

By GrandmaH

RE: Garden Mailbox

Garden Mailbox

I have one in my garden also and I have the door open to it and a fake rubber alligator coming out of the little door. I thought I was the only one who recycled my old mailbox. Yours is real nice too and I LOVE your yellow flowers. (12/12/2008)

By florida gal

Garden Mailbox

I love that idea. Now I have to find an old mailbox. (12/14/2008)

By karen.

Garden Mailbox

I have one as well. I put gloves, gardening tools, and my little seed spreader in it. Keeps everything in one place and looking nice. (01/01/2009)

By Shaylee

Keep Small Garden Tools Handy... A handy place to store pruning shears and small garden tools is in an old mail box. Just place the mail box on a post in a convenient spot in your yard and place the small tools that you use regularly in it. Many mailboxes will even have a hole for inserting a small padlock. If your doesn't, just drill your own hole. Paint the mail box and it can be quite attractive.