Cleaning Supply RecipesCleaning

Why Is Dawn Detergent Recommended So Often?

So many recipes for cleaners, insect control, plant food, etc and all-round-solutions-to-everything specifically recommend Dawn Dishwashing Liquid as one of the ingredients. Can someone tell me just what is so special about Dawn that it is recommended by name? What makes it superior to any other dishwashing liquid?

Seagrape

Best Answer

Several years ago after the Exxon Valdez oil spill, I was watching a news program when I noticed a bottle of Dawn on the cabinet in back of the people who were washing the ducks, otters and other animals damaged in that debacle. No mention was made at that time of the product, but I figured if it removed oil from ducks, it would do the same for my dishes and pans! Years later I learned Dawn was recommended for such extreme circumstances. I don't know how its particular ingredients combine to do the job...but they do!

I have added some ammonia to better quality dish soap, it cuts oil & grease. I think that is why they recommend Dawn. Dawn label said not to add a bleach to dish soap! Ammonia & bleach don't mix!

Syd

Best Answer

It has ammonia in it.

Personally, you can take your favorite detergent and add your own ammonia to it!

Best Answer

I don't know the ingredients but it is so highly recommended because it works so well while being safe. I live in Cincinnati (home of P&G who used to make Dawn) I remember a wreck a few years ago where an oil tranker lost it's load. P&G donated the Dawn to clean it up. With many products the of the generic will do but I've never found anything that is such a good cleaner--even all by itself.

Best Answer

Several years ago my then 3 yr old granddaughter put a whole large jar of vaseline in her hair. Nothing seemed to get it out. They called the 800# on the vaseline bottle and explained their problem. They said use Dawn...it is mild and safe. It took a few washings because of the amount in her thick, long hair, but it worked like a charm. Keep a bottle on hand, if only for emergencies.

Best Answer

Dawn is the best for killing flea's also. Put water in a sprayer and spray the yard with it. My cat's come to me every morning and I use a flea comb on them and put a cup with one drop of Dawn and some water. Knock flea's in the water and in seconds they are dead

I read on pet blogs from some people using Dawn to bathe their cats. (It was on a cat site)These gals were using it full strength. While I'm sure using it straight from the bottle won't really hurt your pet, it takes forever to rinse off ! I only use a few squirts in one side of the kitchen sink full of warm water, then rinse him well, of course. My cat is flea-free, and smells nice ! I haven't seen anymore fleas so we only bathe him now every 4-6 weeks to be clean. I'm one of those people who feel a cat does need bathing now and then ! (Others would have different opinions ! lol)

Best Answer

I am a real skeptic about 'brand names'. That doesn't convince me at all, but Dawn is everything it claims to be.

2-3 drops make swishy water for wiping down the kitchen.

I use it to remove lanolin from raw sheep fleece (I'm a spinner etc). It really cuts grease.

Now watered down versions are sold in discount stores and that's a different story. Buy the regular Dawn, full strength. Best if you have Costco, buy the big one and it will last 6 months.

Best Answer

I've heard that Dawn contains ammonia. Makes sense: that would explain why it cleans so well and why it says don't add bleach.

Best Answer

Wow! This is an excellent post. I have learned so much from reading all of these recommendations for Dawn. There is no higher praise for any product than the loyalty of its customers. All of these satisfied customers just couldn't be wrong. I've just added a bottle of Dawn to my shopping list! Thanks to you all.

Best Answer

The comment of Dawn being used during the Valdez Oil Spill is true. Here in New Orleans when BP had an off-shore oil rig explode and thousands of oil messed up our whole Gulf Coast, many different kinds of animals were trapped in large pools of sticky oil. When they were rescued, they were cleaned with Dawn dishwashing detergent. I still remember seeing a bottle sitting on the beach during the newscast. I have been using Dawn ever since. I never thought about using it as a spot cleaner. Great idea!

it has ammonia that is why it cannot and should not be mixed with bleach.....

It cuts grease!

We love Dawn and have found that the store brand of Dawn is never the same. It is a great grease cutter and you don't have to use a lot to wash your dishes.

Ziggee

In my opinion, the brand has just become a household name. Like, when you need to blow your nose, you reach for a "kleenex" and when you want an easy dessert you make "jello."

It is the best spot remover for washables that I've ever found and way cheaper than the traditional laundry pre-spots.

I don't know why, but this is the only dishsoap I can use in the winter, as all others make my skin crack on my fingers. I have very few using Dawn.

you are very perceptive....

Yours is still my question, what is different in the Dawn formula. I'm sensitive to it while I'm not to Palmolive, my personal favorite. It must have some additional caustic ingredient.

I believe that most dish detergents today, including Dawn, have ammonia added. This boosts their cleaning power but makes them less gentle. Perhaps Palmolive is still using their original formula or hasn't included whatever is causing your sensitivity.

Dawn is not a detergent, it's a soap, which is a natural product. Detergents are alkaline, synthetic, and used for laundry/dishwashers.

I too am sensitive to Dawn and do not see why it should be so much better than Palmolive, or others for that matter. It burns my skin. Sure, store brands are not worth the money but Palmolive is the best pretreater and general cleaner I have used.

If it is so "natural" why does it burn my skin?

That's incorrect. Dawn is absolutely a detergent. That's why it's effective at cutting grease.

This NPR report makes it clear that Dawn, like e Rey other liquid dish detergent, IS a detergent, and it contains petroleum.

http://www.npr.  toryId=127999735

I think that Dawn should indicate exactly what it is made of on the bottle, I have looked at their website and the don't say anything about ingredients....that wouldn't be allowed in Europe.

Years ago I took a cake decorating class. We use a lot of oily products in making the frosting and fondant. Best recommendation ever was by the instructor, who has worked for several impressive cake shops, use dawn for clean up. I have since kept a solution in a spray bottle under the sink for quick clean ups. My husband grabbed the bottle one day and was spraying box elder bugs on our deck...I was amazed when it actually killed them.

Anonymous

I always thought it had some ammonia in it that cuts grease.

The biodegradable surfactants in Dawn will kill bugs, because this Alkyl Polyglucosides refers to modified sugars. It will get in the trachea of insects and suffocate them, particularly small insects," Gary Puterka of the USDA's Agricultural Research Center. "The other mechanism is disruption of the insect's cuticle, causing rapid water loss." It causes the insect to lose water, shrivel, and die of dehydration.

https://www.liv  sugar-sweet.html

I have over the years tried many dish detergents, but I keep coming back to DAWN, it just plain works better than the rest. I use it for presoaking my T-shirts if I mistakenly get tomato sauce or other food stains on my tops or bottoms. Dawn just simply does a great job on so many different levels. I also use it to clean my windows. Just a little dab does wonders for so many cleaning chores.