Algae in Above Ground Swimming Pools

I have an above ground pool. Can I use household bleach to kill algae? My pool is overrun with green algae. Thanks.

By leveman3 from Lebanon, TN

Best Answer

No on chlorine bleach! It's not healthy for humans or the environment! Go to your local pool supply company and ask them what products you need to get rid of the algae and what products for maintenance thereafter. They also carry long poles with special pads on them that you run along the bottom and side pool surfaces that help loosen the algae and should also be used for regular maintenance.

Best Answer

Never mess around with chemicals, unless your pool dealer has them in stock. The first step is to bring a sample of your water to determine the right course to clean up the algae, or other problem you may have. Otherwise you are making a possible toxic soup which may harm humans, or destroy the pool. Trying to save a few dollars may cost bigger bucks in the end. I have a friend whose well meaning, but clueless husband "dumped" every product they had bough for the pool, all at once! He figured this would keep the pool clean while they went on vacation. Upon returning home the pool was like a bubble bath, and not usable for several weeks after. Then an algae problem developed and that was the end of the pool season. I check my water every other day, and if something needs to be added I do it then. Always read the instructions as to the amount and how to use it etc. Good luck to you!

I use regular laundry bleach for shocking the pool and the chlorine it needs. For the algae I use baking soda. About 8 boxes for the size 12' x 36". Works wonder.Might need a couple of more if it is real bad. Also keep a good rag mop on hand for the pool alone. I had this size pool up for 9 years. Come winter, I let out 1/3 of the water. Put beach balls in it and covered with a tarp tied to gallon milk jugs filled with water to corners of the tarp and it was good till next spring. You do not have to buy the expensive chlorine pills and algaecide. Unless you are a millionaire and just have money to burn.

Oh by the way the pool I had was the old fashion medal sided one with the liner and the little plastic rods that clipped on to keep the liner in place. They don't make any more. But I had it for 9 years till kids grew and flew.

Good Luck.

Algae in a pool
Cleaning Algae From a Pool
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousSeptember 16, 2010
Above Ground  Swimming Pool
Saving Energy on Swimming Pools
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools