Killing Roots in a Sewer Line

What is a good way to rid tree roots in the sewer lines? Our landlord will not pay to have this fixed.

Rebecca from Provo, Utah

Put bluestone(copper sulfate) down the sewer line.

One thing that I know works. It is Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate. We got it at Home Depot and Menards. It has two different names. One is called Root Gone, the other Root Kill, but it is the same thing. Use it as per the directions on the jug. It works for us. It costs about $8 to $10 for one treatment.

Rebecca,try calling your local City Garage & asking.I know that here we just take a container (like a juice can or smaller) & they will fill it with a blue rock like substance - it might be the same as other posters posted already I don't know.

But they give it away some places.

You might check out this as a possibility before you spend any money on anything commercial!

Our local Rent-All center where my husband went to rent a 'snake' to clear our sewer lines told him to pour a gallon of bleach all at once down the toilet once a month, that it will kill the roots. So far, it seems to have worked for us and it's been over a year with no problems.

I work for a water dept in Texas, we use Copper Sulfate in our main sewer lines. If you have to rock salt will work also, but do not use it if on a septic tank.

One problem with copper sulfate root killers for toilet applications, either septic or sewer, is that the ingredients flush past the roots along with the water. There is a new product called Root 'N Clean that solves that problem by using water soluble packets that get caught by the roots so that the foam coats the roots after the water has flushed by. It also allows consumers not to touch the copper sulfate or deal with hazardous materials at all. As a result, it is safe to use and very effective as a copper sulfate root killer.

http://www.coppersulfaterootkiller.com/home.html

Greg

Root 'N Clean

Check with your state for the booklet Tenants and landlords. In most states, the landlord is held responsible for the sewer line on his property. The land is his property, you are only renting.

October 1, 2008 Flag

Is there anything I can make or do to kill tree roots in water/sewer lines? We used Rid-X successfully five years in Houston, on city utilities, BUT not on anything like a septic. I just hated the Rid-X and hope someone knows of any tree root killer that will NOT kill the tree or us that we can make or mix up? Extra money is non-existant and I am disabled.

Lynda from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Killing Roots in a Sewer Line

I've heard the dumping rock salt down your toilet will work. (08/03/2006)

By anniehenry_84

Killing Roots in a Sewer Line

Go to the feed store and get a block of salt like you feed animals. Chop blocks off of it that will fit in the water storage tank of your toilet and it will keep the tree roots out of your septic system economically. A large chunk of it will last a month, so the block is very low in cost for the time it lasts. (08/03/2006)

By jesij

Killing Roots in a Sewer Line

I heard rock salt also, put in toilet before going to bed, flush, so it can sit in the lines and do it weekly or so. Hope it works for you. (08/04/2006)

By dede

house with trees
Getting Rid of Roots in a Sewer Line
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingOctober 6, 2008
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎄