Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Once a peace lily leaves starts browning on the edges, will they continue to brown or will it eventually stop? What can I do to make sure that the new leaves don't start browning?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Yvette from Silver Spring, MD

By

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Q: I have a peace lily in my office at work. The office is air-conditioned. The lily flowers well but most of the leaves are brown at the ends. Can anyone tell me why the leaves are having dry ends?

Thanks a million.

phiona

A: Phiona,

The leaves on your Peace Lily are probably turning brown at the ends due to prolonged exposure to the air conditioning in your office. Peace Lilies thrive best in tropical conditions mimicking their native Columbia. This includes bright light (natural light is preferable to the fluorescent lights found in offices) moist soil, high humidity, and temperatures between 75°F-80°F. Peace Lilies also do well with a rest in the winter in cooler temps (between 60°F-65°F) and should be fed every two weeks during their active period.

More Answers:

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

I used to work in a flower shop and we had this problem all of the time. I can't remember what caused it but you can take a sharp pair of scissors and trim the brown off the leaves. I think it had to do with watering them. (08/23/2005)

By Beckie

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Brown tips on plants usually have to do with the humidity in the air, or lack there of. Trimming the brown off the tips will not hurt the plant. Once in a while, mist them or put them into the shower, thereby getting the leaves wet, would be good for them. (08/23/2005)

By Valleyrimgirl

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Uneven watering will do this, water regularly, but do not let water stand in the saucer. (08/23/2005)

By Rosa

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Peace lilies like their feet wet. If you could provide a saucer and keep it filled with water, the problem will be resolved. Also, daily misting helps. Cut off the old brown leaves as close to the base of the plant as you can. best wishes for successful peace lilies. (08/24/2005)

By SATellite

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Another idea is to place the pot on a tray or saucer filled with stones or pebbles and keep water in it. This will give the plant humidity. This is good for most house plants. I have also read to insert the pot into a bigger pot that is filled with dry moss. Have the moss on the bottom and sides of the pot and then keep moss damp. This will also help with the humidity. (08/29/2005)

By mkymlp

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

A lot of times that brown comes from fluoride in the water. (09/02/2005)

By Nancy Wall

RE: Peace Lily With Brown Leaves

Brown ends on leaves very often means that the plant is overwatered. I know that this plant likes to be moist, but it may be getting too much water. Make sure that you are the only one giving it water at the office, trim the leaves, let the plant dry out a bit and then water it regularly. (09/03/2005)

By Stargate