TipsClothing

Layer a Cropped Turtleneck Under Blouses

Many times I find that I need something to fill in the neckline of a blouse or sweater, but don't want the bulk of a turtleneck shirt under it. Dickies sometimes do the trick, but I have found a better solution. I buy a turtleneck; ones sold as "seconds" at an outlet, ones you have with a stain or tear, or ones from a thrift store work fine. I then cut the sleeves off of them and cut the bottom off right under the bust line.

Flawed or stained shirts get a second chance in your wardrobe and you don't have the bulk or heat which come with an entire shirt. These are far superior to the dickies you buy because: 1) They don't pull out or up, or reveal the area between your neck and shoulder like the traditional dickies do. 2) You have a much better array of colors to choose from since the traditional ones are generally found only in a few neutral colors.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Great idea about cutting off the sleeves. This way layering is not so bulky. I'll have to try it with some old turtlenecks I have.

Sometimes I want to fill in a V-neck top but I don't want a turtleneck. I've tried my tank tops but they are too low, I want something higher. What works is wearing the tank top backwards--I wear the scooped front in back, and the higher part is now in front (hope that makes sense).

I am going to call the Genius Awards people and have them declare you a genius for this!

Both of these ideas are really great. Thank you! Karen