How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

How do I keep from biting my nails?

By Victoria from Wilmington, NC

Best Answer

I still remember what my 3rd grade teacher said to one little classmate..."You could plant radishes under those nails!" and I've never considered having a "dirt snack". That was 52 years ago and my mother-in-law stopped a life-long habit of nail biting after hear that.

Best Answer

Hello,

I always wanted to stop biting my nails too. I tired the easy acrylic way but that was just painful and bothersome (not to mention expensive) What really got me to stop was an idea from my grandmother. Just try to make one nail pretty. That's all. Just keep your mouth away from that one nail and wait awhile. There's no pressure and no bad feelings if you falter and bite one of the others. Soon you'll see how pretty your nails can be. I did and then I realized how much I liked how pretty that nail was and I started not to touch the entire hand. Then both hands. :) Now they're really pretty. (Also a smart girl told me to keep a nail file wit me at all times so I can even out my falters or snags).

When I was 16 I just plain decided to quit biting my nails because I wanted longer nails for the prom. It worked. I am 70 now and haven't bitten them since.

My ex-wife found out that biting your nails was a result of a lack of protein. When you feel like biting your nail suck on a spoon or two of peanut butter. If your nails are flimsy and you would like them to grow thicker you need to get a supplement called Biotin. It also helps hair growth.

Biting nails being caused by lack of protein is an old wives tale! People bite nails out of habit (like babies who suck thumbs, or people who twirl sections of their hair to where it starts breaking off, etc) or because of stress! There are loads of good ideas of how to quit biting your nails in the ThriftyFun archives below this comment section and one or more of them should be doable for you. Good Luck! :-)

If you can afford it get acrylics. You'll stop. They cost to much to bite. I agree it has nothing to do with what we are lacking. It is just a habit.

I was 8 yrs old when I saw my then 13 yr old sister bite her nails. I wanted so to be like her. So I started biting mine too. Its a crazy thing that became a habit that I couldn't stop. I bit them, they hurt and bled, but even as an adult I didn't stop. Then here about 10 yrs ago I woke up one morning and said to myself.. *I want to feel like a lady. I'm sick of these ugly hands!* And I never bit them again!

They are paper thin. I trim and file them. Yes even when the white grows out a little they don't look the same as someone who has never bit their nails, but for me they are long nails after living with nails bit down to the quick. I am now 58, and I feel like a lady. It's nice to know I can trim my nails and file them. You can do it too, just tell yourself you aren't going to do it anymore!

I stopped by chewing gum. Also coincided with quitting smoking so the gum chewing helped with 2 things!

Close up of woman's teeth biting her finger nails
Preventing Fingernail Biting
Health & Beauty Beauty Nail TipsOctober 18, 2010
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄