Why Are the Leaves on My Lilac Misshapen?

I have a lilac bush that is half OK and the other half has buds, but no leaves. On the half with leaves, the leaves are funny looking, kind of cup shaped. I am sending a few pictures. Any thoughts or ideas on what the problem could be would be appreciated.

By Dan from Justice, IL

I have noticed a few trees here in SD that are like that too. The ones that I noticed are smaller type trees that are planted in the boulevard along the street by WalMart. The trees have been there for several years. The cab driver that took me to WalMart one day and I were talking about it and wondering if it could have had something to do with the hard winter we had this past winter. A lot of snow and cold. I don't know if weather could have had anything to do with it, but just wondered. The trees look really strange. The sides of the trees that don't have leaves are on the south side.

I have one lilac, it is doing the same kind of thing here in southern CA. I had a few blooms in February, that looked mutated, very small, and almost no leaves. In April it bloomed better, but few blooms and the leaves are looking normal now. I have one small stubby flower today. And the fragrance isn't very strong. Oh, and this bush was developed for our area. GG Vi