Soups to Last All Winter

Every fall, I pull out my large crock pot and start cooking. First I make 2 pots of chicken soup, then 2 pots of vegetable beef soup, then 2 pots of chili. My recipes for the chicken soup and the beef soup can be found on ThrifyFun:

For the chili, you can use your own favorite recipe.

Anyway, as I get each pot made, I spoon it into single serving freezer containers and freeze them. The way I make them, they can be served in a wide variety of ways, so it's not the same 3 things all the time. This gives me enough soup and chili to last my husband and I through the winter and into the spring.

Once or twice a month, we may go out or have something different. Then of course, there's Thanksgiving and Christmas, at which times we also go out, since it's just the two of us. But other than perishables like milk, bread, salad makings, I don't need to go to the grocery store all winter and thus save a lot on groceries for 4-5 months.

Besides, what could be better on a cold winter night than a hot bowl of homemade soup?

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Food and Recipes Freezing Freezer MealsNovember 8, 2010
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations