Vinegar for Wallpaper Removal

I decided to finally re-do the kid's bathroom after finding a great bargain at a yard sale for a bathroom set. The bathroom had really ugly wallpaper and border on the wall. It was stuck on there good and tight - 2 layers in fact!

I filled a spray bottle (new one from Dollar Tree) with an equal mix of water and white vinegar. I sprayed the wall paper and used a pan scraper and started peeling. It took the paper off quickly and without much work. I thought I would share this as a safe, environmentally friendly and, best of all, super cheap - less then $1 for a large bottle of vinegar. I was able to do the entire bathroom for less then $1!

By Betsy from Hernando, MS

I wanted to remove wallpaper in one of my bathrooms but was told by several that it would practically be impossible since the wallpaper had been painted over. I'd like to hear from those of you who had good luck removing wallpaper that had been painted.

For years, we always used water mixed with dishwashing liquid, works like a charm.

Fabric Softener also works well.

Great idea -- I've spent a few too many dollars on the wallpaper removal sprays. Will try this next time. Here's an article about using water and rollers. Could do the trick as well.

I once removed in a stairwell and through a hall 2 layers of paper, next a coat of oil based paint and then 3 more layers of paper. It was not easy and I would not recommend it. Most of the time removing wall paper is difficult because the wall was not properly prepared but once in awhile you can have some stubborn stuff.

Man Removing Wallpaper
Removing Wallpaper
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperJune 10, 2008
Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet