Framing Newspapers

I have tons of newspapers that I would like to frame and use as wall hangings for a rec room. However, I am having a hard time finding a way to do this without breaking my budget. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get inexpensive frames, wood or metal, to frame these?

Laura from Festus, MO

Take some molding from your hardware store, and cut it into strips. Make the cuts at 45 degrees for each corner, and use some stiff foamboard or cardboard as the back. Use very short nails to nail the pieces together, and to nail the cardboard to the molding. Voila, you made your own custom frame.

You can even use rough sawn 1x2's if you want a rustic look for your frame.

You might like to try this idea instead of framing the newspapers. I did it, and it looks quite effective. I purchsed two long blinds from a secondhand shop.. not venetian blinds, I think they are called Holland blinds. I then cut out all the things from the newspapers, pictures, startling; headlines that I wanted, and glued them to the blinds with craft glue.

When the pictures were dry, I covered the whole of the surfaces with clear laquer and hung the blinds on the wall. It made two very interesting, and talked about decorations.

If you can find some old window frames (garage sales, etc) they would work great!!

And usually they are free!

i dont know about framing, but. a relative papered her walls with magazine and glued it then used clear paint i guess shellac over top.

www.freecycle.org Check this link for a chapter in your area...post a wanted for the frames (but don't forget to also offer(s) sometime too!)

IF YOU ARE JUST WANTING TO FRAME CERTAIN PARTS YOU CAN GO TO A SALVAGE YARD AND GET SOME OLD WINDOW FRAMES AND USE THEM WE ARE TAKING ONE AND USING THE TOP SECTION ON ONE SIDE OF OUR COCO CLOCK AND THE BOTTOM ON THE OTHER SIDE PUTTING FAMILY PICTURES IN EACH INDIVIDUAL FRAME SECTION

Any thrift store like Goodwill has frames.

We have a Super$1 store here, if you have something similar you could try that. Or, a thrift store, garage sales (when they start up again). I bought a frame at a garage sale in a box for .25 and covered it with wrapping paper from my neice's baby shower for a gift for her. (she loved it by the way). You could paint the worn frames, or leave as it.

I have two thoughts. The first is to find some old windows with single pane of glass. Mount these with a hinge to a shallow box or even right to the wall and then put cork behind so that the newspapers can be thumbtacked in place and the "door" closed over them to protect them.

The other thought is to take inexpensive peg board, cut it to the size you want, outline the edges with thin wood strips such as lath or muliion. Mount plexiglass with glue or screws to the strips. Slip your newspapers behind the glass and hang by the pegboard back. You might have to mount the newspapers to some sort of stiff material using this method. ( such as mat board or illustration board)

What about poster frames that you can pick up at Walmart, Kmart, etc? They are about the right size for a sheet of newspaper, lightweight and made to hold a wall poster.... Relatively inexpensive, too!

I get them at Goodwill. When my bf wears out a favorite shirt of his (like his Beatles shirts) i cut out the picture on the shirt and put it in a frame. Looks like we bought an expensive Beatles picture. Goodwill has half off day one saturday each month and if you are elderly or have an older friend bring them to get an even bigger discount!

The best place I could tell you if you're wanting similar frames is check out dollar general, dollar store, family dollar, etc. My dh and I got a pic for his cousin from ebay and the glass broke. His mom went to one of the above and the frame was cheap enough to toss it and just keep the glass.

go to the super dollar store, the everythings a dollar, or family dollar store. They have all kind of frames for just a dollar,

Look at yard sales, i have found beautiful all sized frames there also.

I hope this helps you., Chy

Crafts FramingFebruary 7, 2007
framed artwork
Saving Money on Custom Framing
Framing Wedding Song Lyrics
Framing Wedding Song Lyrics
Large picture frame.
Saving Money on Poster Framing
Framed family photos sitting on a shelf.
Photo Framing Tips and Tricks
🎉
🎄