Phoenix (Rooster)

Phoenix the Rooster is 6 months or so. I think it is a frizzle mix. I found a sweet person who was willing to share their baby chicken, which had just hatched. Our kids were trying to take care of a chicken egg and then keep it as a pet and the eggs lost their viability when the power went out at the school in the incubator. We drove a long way to get Phoenix!

His favorite thing to do is watch what is going on and talk. He is overwintering here in our bedroom in his incubator which has been turned into his coop for now. He is by a parakeet who he has made really good friends with.

Today I saw Perry the parakeet opening and closing the food door for him on his cage. I have no idea what this is about. LOL Chickens are very smart animals and are social as well. Once they get old you can't hold them on your arm without protection anymore, because of their sharp claws, the same as if you were holding a hawk.

This wonderful rooster talks, sneezed at you when you sneeze and performs for applause and attention. Such a wonderful pet but I cant wait until spring, he is waiting to get his own coop and some other friends; maybe we will have fresh eggs!

By Robyn Fed

Cute story. Still i would not trust a chicken with my parakeet. Wow! Hope you don't learn the hard way.

He is so cute! We love chickens and have 15 of them as well as a Rooster. We hatched them all under a heat lamp in the garage in a dog crate surrounded by cardboard to keep out any drafts. I think you'll be OK as long as you keep the bird in his cage :)

He is such a character, I see him all the time, his coop is in the center of the room, when he is not outside. So I always watch the parakeet.

Phoenix has turned into a bossy, happy, overly confident attack rooster, which we all get a kick out of, when the dogs run to the fence to bark at passersby, he runs right along with them flapping and all fluffed up and ready chase them offr.. I have to never let the ferrets near him, since ferrets hate chickens and kill them on site, other than that, this rooster rules the roost and he knows it! LOL

Photo of a rooster in the grass.
Rooster Information and Photos
Pets Pet PagesJanuary 13, 2011
Guide
A girl taking an online course using her laptop.
University of Phoenix Online Reviews
🎄