Internet TipsComputers

Copy And Paste Text To Print Information

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but printing things I see online, like recipes on ThriftyFun, is always a hassle. I know how to highlight the selection I want printed, but, pretty often, a lot more gets printed, wasting paper and that expensive ink. So now I highlight what I want to print, copy it, pull down an email as thought I'm going to write one, and I paste the recipe onto that. Then I simply print out the email and, when done, cancel it. For me it has been easier, faster, and fool proof!

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Editor's Note: To print posts on ThriftyFun, click on the "Print" option in the list under the title. This will give you a print ready page, without ads, navigation tools or other extraneous information. You will have an option to print with or without feedback.

This is an easy way to get just the information you want printed out. Thanks for sharing.

One thing I often do is to create a PDF file instead of physically printing the document. I do this often with online receipts and documents that I don't necessarily need a hard copy of. I can save these on my computer and look them up if I need them in the future. They are all set up as a printable page if I ever need to print them later.

And for ThriftyFun recipes, I use the "Follow" feature which allows me to bookmark the post and later look it up in my account. I can add comments there and organize them into folders. Posts that have been rated (Thumbs Up) are also in Account Options, but they are not as organized.

I find that emailing the recipe, etc. to myself often works (when the item is separated from others as in Thrifty Fun). Then I transfer the email to its proper folder. Cay from FL

I also copy and paste to a word doc. Sometimes I can get several recipe's on the same page. Then I save them in my "Good Food" file and email or print when I need to.

I think document manipulation is one of the more fun things you can do on your computer.

Hope that helps.

PBP

Anonymous

I applaud you for coming up with a way that works for you!

I copy and paste the recipes I want to keep in a Word doc and save them in my recipe folder. I save each one separately because my recipe folder has sub-folders by food type category (such as dessert, pasta, salad, etc).

I use a free office suite, Open Office. I, too, copy a lot of things into documents to print out. One handy paper-saver is to list ingredients horizontally instead of vertically. I am so accustomed to it that using a recipe with the ingredients lined up vertically seems awkward; but my kids say I am strange anyway.

Pat

I don't always want to print the recipe but to save it into my documents and all you do for that is to follow editors directions and when you get to print cancel the printer page then select all or highlight then copy and open your letter page, paste it and save it (title it) and close it it should be in your documents and you can print if you decide you really want it. I don't like using the ink till I find out if it works or I like to eat it.

For anyone that uses Microsoft Office there is a neat utility program in the tools section of the program, called Microsoft Document Imaging. It makes and saves images of whatever web page you wish and it is saved as an "mdi" file. You just need to set up a path so when you select "print" it shows up as a printer option. It works great if you need to save a confirmation page of a web site like a final sales receipt or a paid bill. Certainly saves on paper printouts.

How do I copy and paste if I don't have Microsoft Word?

By MEL G.

You should have some kind of word processing programme that came with your computer, look under programmes or software using the 'about this computer' to see if you have anything like MS Works, it's the basic version of Word.

If not, you can usually download a version free from Microsoft, also there are other free downloads, Google Docs is just one.

You can do a search for free downloadable word processing programmes, but be VERY careful to research which ever one interests you before clicking download to avoid downloading backdoors, Trojans, and viruses.

Try this link, about.com is a well known and reliable site with thousands of topic guides to all sorts of things; this one is to the guide that will help you learn more about all things computer, including the free and purchase software available out there:

http://www.about.com/compute/

What do you have?

This is just as good as Microsoft word. Try OpenOffice 3.3.

I am currently taking a computer class-the prof recommended OpenOffice as well.