Recipe for Orange Jello Carrot Salad

Way back in the 50s my mother made a salad with orange jello and grated carrots and maybe some kind of fruit, possibly crushed pineapple. Does anyone remember this concoction? Have a recipe? There may have been other things in it. Thanks.

By Judy from IA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Orange Carrot Salad Recipe

Ready in: 2-5 hrs

Difficulty: 3 (1=easiest :: hardest=5)

Serves/Makes: 12

1 package Orange-flavored gelatin; 6oz size

2 cups Water; boiling

1 1/2 cup Water; cold

2 large Carrots; shredded

11 ounces Mandarin oranges; drained

15 1/2 ounces Crushed pineapple; undrained

1/2 cup Pecans; chopped

Lettuce

Carrot curls

Pecan halves

Directions:

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water, and stir in cold water. Chill until partially set. Fold in carrots, oranges, pineapple, and chopped pecans into thickened gelatin. Spoon into an oiled 2 quart mold; chill until set. Unmold on lettuce, and garnish with carrot curls and pecan halves.

good luck.

My mom made this and I make it all the time. I use a small (3 oz) jello, mix with 1 cup boiling water, then add a tray of ice cubes and stir until most are melted and you have 2 cups of jello. You'll throw away some small pieces of ice. Put it in a glass pan and add 1 (drained) can of pineapple (I prefer the tidbits, crushed is fine too) and 2 grated carrots. Mix and refrigerate, if you use ice it sets up quickly.

The ice lets you put the fruit and carrots in right away. If you don't use ice the stuff will float.

Serve with a dressing made of lemon juice or vinegar, sugar, and mayo. I use a scant 1/4 cup of lemon juice or vinegar, about 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup mayo. Taste and adjust to your liking.

This makes about 8 or 10 nice sized servings.

My Mother made this also. It was called Sunshine salad. It is very simple: use one small pk of orange jello, one small can of crushed pineapple and 3-4 shredded carrots. Make jello according to directions, using only 1 and 3/4 cup of water, as the pineapple has at least 1/4 cup of juice, add the pineapple and carrots and chill until set. My mother used an 8x11 casserole dish and she cut it in squares to serve.

My mother also made this one however she topped this salad after it was set up with mayo and then topped that with shredded cheddar cheese the combination of the different flavors is really great!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Jell-o salad with red jell-o, strawberries and oranges.
Jell-o (Gelatin) Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads JelloMarch 11, 2010
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Carrot Salad
Carrot Salad Recipes
Making a Jello Fish Bowl
Making a Jello Fish Bowl
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Carrot Costume
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 21, 2016 at 11:23:00 AM on 10.0.2.232 in 613 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.