Cleaning Copper

I inherited a small copper "tub" that was stored in a barn. It has turned completely black. What is the best way to restore it's copper finish? Also, once it's cleaned, is there anything that can be put on the surface to keep the copper from getting dull?

By Lois from Midwest

Best Answer

After cleaning with Brasso, wash with warm soapy water and rinse and Hand dry so no water spots.Then get some spray lacquer and spay finish layer and let dry.It is what stuff like brass lamps are coated with so no air on surface to tarnish it. With out air, it will not tarnish.

Best Answer

Tomato sauce or ketchup work also. I think there is a clear coat you can use after you have cleaned it but you cannot touch it with your fingers after you clean it or it will leave a mark even after you have clear coated it.

I have been cleaning a set of copper pots and pans with lemon juice, salt, and elbow grease. :) I am also looking for a way to keep it from tarnishing once it is cleaned.

I bought this stuff called Brasso at Wal-mart. I used it on my bathtub faucets> They look brand new. It's safe for brass, copper and other stuff.

Ketchup, spaghetti sauce,or lemon. Or ask Helowise at Good Housekeeping.com. Good Luck. : )

Copper Pitcher
Cleaning and Polishing Copper
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalMay 13, 2011
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Copper Kitchen Sink
Considering a Copper Kitchen Sink
Copper Pots
Cleaning Copper Pots and Pans
Bombay Cat
Bombay Breed Information and Photos
🎉
🎄