Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Making Canned Chili Taste Homemade

0EmailPrintFollowSave

How do you make canned chili taste like homemade?

By Arlene from TX

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By FunGirl82275 1 01/06/2010 Flag

Add a can of tomato sauce.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By lemco 1 4 01/06/2010 Flag

If you like it hot, add a 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder, add a 1/4 pack of chili seasoning, 1 can of chunky tomatoe sauce, plus 1 can of chili beans if you like beans. Don't forget to add extra meat(already cooked). You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, whatever you prefer. If you don't want to cook, buy a large hamburger from Burger King or Mc Donald's w/o anything on it and chop it up into the sauce.

Happy Eating

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jess 129 764 01/06/2010 Flag

What I would do is saute some onions and garlic until softened, maybe with some of that tomato sauce or some diced tomatoes. Then add in the canned chili and heat it all through. I find that fresh cilantro or jalapenos also can really enhance the flavors too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Arlene 2 2 01/06/2010 Flag

Thank all of you for your replies.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 01/07/2010 Flag

Which type chili are you using? If you are using the thick kind of grainy type, add a can of chopped small tomatoes, maybe the ones with jalapenos, Could add finely chopped pieces of bell pepper. You might also add another can of kidney beans. Stagg is kind of homemade style already.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Betty 104 753 01/07/2010 Flag

I buy canned chili but only Hormel. Check the fat and saturated fat content on the other brands and it will shock you as compared to Hormel and it tastes just as good if not better. I always check the fat content and when I discovered this I buy Hormel even with other brands is on sale.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rita Horne 6 25 01/08/2010 Flag

I buy the Johnson Brick chili, add a can of diced tomatoes, a can of chili with or without beans and some browned hamburger or beef chunks. Tastes as good or better than home-made. You can also add extra diced onions if you like.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes