Making Canned Chili Taste Homemade - Categories:

Food FixesFood Tips

Making Canned Chili Taste Homemade

How do you make canned chili taste like homemade?

By Arlene from TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Add a can of tomato sauce.

If you like it hot, add a 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder, add a 1/4 pack of chili seasoning, 1 can of chunky tomatoe sauce, plus 1 can of chili beans if you like beans. Don't forget to add extra meat(already cooked). You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, whatever you prefer. If you don't want to cook, buy a large hamburger from Burger King or Mc Donald's w/o anything on it and chop it up into the sauce.

Happy Eating

What I would do is saute some onions and garlic until softened, maybe with some of that tomato sauce or some diced tomatoes. Then add in the canned chili and heat it all through. I find that fresh cilantro or jalapenos also can really enhance the flavors too.

Thank all of you for your replies.

Which type chili are you using? If you are using the thick kind of grainy type, add a can of chopped small tomatoes, maybe the ones with jalapenos, Could add finely chopped pieces of bell pepper. You might also add another can of kidney beans. Stagg is kind of homemade style already.

I buy canned chili but only Hormel. Check the fat and saturated fat content on the other brands and it will shock you as compared to Hormel and it tastes just as good if not better. I always check the fat content and when I discovered this I buy Hormel even with other brands is on sale.

I buy the Johnson Brick chili, add a can of diced tomatoes, a can of chili with or without beans and some browned hamburger or beef chunks. Tastes as good or better than home-made. You can also add extra diced onions if you like.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesJanuary 6, 2010
Chili Soup
Chili Soup Recipes
pot of chili con carne
Chili Spaghetti Recipes
A large pot of chili, ready for canning.
Canning Chili
Stuffed Red Chili Peppers
Stuffed Chili Pepper Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:48:07 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.