Bead and Sequin Ornaments (Grandma Tutu's)

My grandma made the most beautiful bead and sequin ornaments and they have always been my favorites on our tree. This year I attempted to recreate these stunning ornaments. These are great decorations and also make a wonderful gift.

Bead and sequin ornament.

Supplies.

Directions:

These are three basic steps you will use to make your bead and sequin ornament.

1. Take a pin and put beads on it. I used two beads of different colors, one green, one iridescent, I wouldn't exceed three beads depending on there size. You want enough pin to stick inside the ball so that it won't fall off easily.
  2. Put a sequin on the pin after the beads (I used one green sequin).
  3. Stick the pin, with the beads and sequin on it, into the foam ball.
  4. Adding sequins to ball. Intersecting rows.

5. As you stick sequins into the ball, have them overlap slightly. Continue these steps until you have encircled the ball. Then Start another circle going around the ball the other direction so the circles cross. This creates four sections. Fill in each section with pins so that you can't see any of the white on the ball.
  6. Continuing to add sequins.

Creating The Hanger

Determine where you want the top of the ball to be. Use the ribbon to make a loop for the ornament to be hung by. Then attach the ribbon to the ball with pins that have the beads and sequin on it. I used three or four pins to secure the ribbon in place. Hanger.

Variation:

If you do not want to cover the entire ball you can buy satin ball ornaments instead. Then you can decorate those with less bead a sequins and not worry about letting the white foam show through.

About The Author: Stella contributes craft ideas to ThriftyFun.com. If you have any craft ideas that you would like to share with Stella and ThriftyFun community, please submit them here.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Beautiful!!! I will give it a try, since you gave excellent instructions. thank you.

Those are cool!!! I love the pictures! I'm amazed each and every day at the cute wonderful crafts that get posted! Those are darling! I will definitely have to do some of those with my daycare kids!

Oh Thanks so much for all the directions for making this good oldie. One time I made a Panda ornament using the sequins & beads. It's a very tranquilizing craft. Not expensive either. God Bless!

How many 8 mm sequins for one 2.5" ball? In other words, what size pack?

My tree has about 80% satin balls I decorated with sequines and pearls, I just made a huge bag of them to hand out as gifts at work.You can sit and watch tv and make them! I have loved to make these for years. My bags of sequenes I bought years ago at Walmart had snowflake and Christmas tree shapes and I had also bought bags of multi colors round ones. They are so fun and so easy.I have only been able to find the multi colors of satin balls, 50 to a box at Walmart. Now is a good time to see if you can get a big box of these and get busy for next year!

My mother's tree is solely sequined and beaded ornaments, some over 50 years old. This year, I switched to them as well (beautifully accented by the ALCOA Aluminum tree). Unfortunately, she is having difficulty in finding the forms needed to create these. Will you help me?

kristiinga at hotmail dot com

I remember making these with my Grandma when I was about 10 or 12. We discovered that they stay together better if you dip just the point of the pin in Elmers glue before sticking it in the styrofoam ball. It won't be messy because you only need a dab about the size of a dime( or even less!) to do a whole ornament. It's just enough to stabilize the whole thing and keep the pins from backing out. Also if you use the glue you can add more beads on some of the pins, which can give some really awesome texture to the whole design. OK now you've gone and done it! I'm going to have to get out my beads and make some of these! Thanks for a good memory!

I sell satin covered balls and eggs on eBay at www.TheCraftyElephant.com. Some customers have asked me to stock sequins. eBay charges such high fees that it is hard for me to sell low cost items like sequin packs for a good price. I want to design my own ornament kits, but I just don't have the time. Your ornaments are beautiful!

Hi

Thank you so much for the instructions on these ornaments!! My grandmother and I used to make these for the holidays! I am so happy to have found the instructions from you, as it has been over 20 years since I have made these! I am planning o making these as gifts for relatives! Thanks so much!

Michelle Smith, NJ michelle_smith27 AT Yahoo.com

I wanted to say thank you for posting such wonderful directions. My uncle purchased me a sequined ornament when I was a child and I still have a special place for it on my tree almost 20 years later. It was a doll and her dress is made of a 1/2 ball of sequins and then a small doll body on top with a fabric top...she is my prized ornament. I am so excited to start this tradition with my child and family!

My great-grandma made my mother and grandmother these kinds of ornaments and I am looking for a pattern book of some kind so that I could create some myself for my family. Do you have any idea where patterns for these ornaments could be found?

I used to make these with my mother at christmas time twelve years ago and would really like to carry on my family tradition that got lost so many years ago. If you know where I could buy a book or magazine that would have patterns to make this craft please let me know. I am so happy to have found this sight. I have been searching for years for any sign of this beautiful craft. Thank you

Thanks so much for giving visual instructions for this craft! I'm a visual learner! This is exactly what I've been looking for! Yea!

Merry Christmas!

Perfect! I've been on the computer searching for this craft project and finally I found what I'm looking for! I suggested this ornament idea to a friend, but couldn't find the words to describe it - this is perfect! My sisters and I used to make these with our mom when we were younger!

When I was a child we made ornaments out of satin balls they were snowmen, santas and angels. Two satin balls were glued together on smaller for head, and larger for body, and then decorated. Has anyone ever seen these I would love to make some more but have been unable to get the salmon color satin balls. I have 6 granddaughters and have them a hope chest started and would like to make some for them.

I am so thrilled to find this forum about sequin, etc

Christmas balls. This has been a family tradition going back about 50 years. I began making these about 2 yrs ago. I use velvet ribbon 5/8" with various braid, trims, beads, sequins and often times

use a earring, brooch, glass buttons to accent. I can't get a pic right now. I make many colors depending on what I have available. My kids will take all that I make...some have all red trees, etc.

Thank you for this page. I remember making these as a child with my mom and brother. Going to teach my children how to make these this year too. Great memories.

Super job in writing this and maybe you found your good at doing this enough that you should consider it as a possibility as a second career. Also thanks for sharing something you love and do so well at.

Comment

Making Bead and Sequin Ornaments
Making Bead and Sequin Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsDecember 22, 2005
tutu montage
Making a No-Sew Tutu
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 3, 2016 at 10:07:37 PM on 10.0.2.136 in 678 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.