Stripping and Re-staining a Table

I am needing directions on how to strip the old stain off a table and then re-stain it. Thank you.

Pam from Allen, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I tend to go the route of buying good sandpaper. I just sand down the furniture to a smooth finish so the new stain has something to adhere to. It has always worked good for me (and I didn't use any chemical stripping agent). Right before you stain the piece, just quickly wipe it down with turpentine. Good luck!

You might take a photo of the table as it is now, and take that photo to a hardware dept/hardware store, and tell them what you are aiming for. They will make some suggestions, and then stand there and read labels on different products.

You can go from simply softening the finish and resmoothing it with a finish restorer, to stripping it all the way. There are different approaches. A really good scratch restorer can work wonders. I worked in an antique shop for 9 years and it's amazing what that can do. Often you don't have to restain. I'm trying to think of what it was called, not available in stores, maybe someone out there knows what I'm talking about. Not Formby's, not Watkins, HOWARD's.

Yes Howard's has some great, professional products. You'll have to track them down if you decide to try them.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-restore-wooden-furniture-finish.htm

This will tell you all about it.

I refinished a set of dining room chairs with denatured alcohol and steel wool. Just dip the steel wool into a bowl that has denatured alcohol in it and rub the wool on the wood. Then wipe the wood down with denatured alcohol on a cloth to remove any residue.

You can use oven cleaner! This is easy, works well but need good ventilation or do out doors. There is a wonderful article for this and more uses at; http://www.ehow.com/how_2087403_use-oven-cleaner-around-house.html

Answer

Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingFebruary 6, 2009
Table Runner
Making a Table Runner
Japanese beetle eating a leaf.
Getting Rid of Japanese Beetles
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
glass coffee table
Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2016 at 6:36:05 PM on 10.0.1.131 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.