Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Decorating Living Room with Fireplace, Bookcases and Windows

We just bought a new (older home) with a large living room and dining room in an L shape. The living room area is 20 feet long and 15 feet wide. The back wall is a solid wall into the dining room area and I have a large wall unit that I hope will look perfect on that wall.

I am stuck however with ideas for the rest of the room, as the room features 2 very large windows facing a beautiful garden. However, on the opposite side it has a floor to ceiling fireplace (not working) made out of some sort of flag stones. On the right side of the fireplace are built in bookshelves which can be useful, but I am at a loss as to how to make this awesome room show off all its great features.

I was thinking of putting up pleated window coverings on the large windows and since the windows are waist height maybe place a sofa in front of the window and work around that area with seating. That would leave 3 focal points in the room, the large wall unit, the large windows, and the large fireplace.

We still have to purchase new furniture, as our old would not get through any door. We would have to walk through the living to go to the dining room, but we are trying to make this a bit of a more formal living room. We have a den and rec room for visiting children and daily activities. We also have another access to the dining room through the kitchen.

Basically I am trying to make this a great looking comfy, but not cluttered room. I do not think that every corner needs to have furniture on it. Correct me if I am wrong, please. We are putting new carpet in as the room has hardwood floors, but I am just not a fan of it. I believe that I can do more or have better ideas when working with a solid coloured area.

The walls will be a light taupe colour (the fireplace stones are a greyish colour) and I am thinking of maybe painting them white, it has no shelf. I hope there is someone who can sort of "imagine" our space and has some great ideas, as they are all welcome. Your input is valued and very much appreciated.

By Poshy from Ontario

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Ginger09/02/2009

How is your living room coming along? Are you able to post a few photos so that I don't have to rely on my imagination?

I am struggling with color choices for my own living room and found your post while surfing the Internet for ideas. I'm interested in what you decided to do with your living room.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Decorating Living Room with Fireplace, Bookcases and Windows

I am having trouble decorating my living room, it has a fire place with wooden bookcases in each side, and large windows covering most of the left side of the room. I am very frustrated with this room. I would really appreciate some help.

- Bouchra

RE: Decorating Living Room with Fireplace, Bookcases and Windows

What type of decorating are you into? Have you ever tried to do "Stain Glass"? It isn't as hard as you think and with all of your windows it sounds like you need a distraction of color. Craft stores sell the pre-designed and self sticking designs so that's where the easy part comes from. Putting the color on takes time but it's really worth it. What color is the wooden shelves by the fireplace? (03/28/2005)

By drewbug04

I have a similar room but only a bookcase on the right hand side of the fireplace. I hired a decorator because I couldn't figure out what to do with the room. She placed large wooden blinds on the windows to make them warmer. I wasn't sure about it because we have a great view, but it doesn't block the view.

The furniture is arranged in a diamond shape. I had a sectional couch and she used two pieces on each side of the fire place angled toward it, but facing the center of the room. Behind each couch she placed a table with decorator items (clock, book, trinkets etc). Then there are two round end tables with large lamps (one against the window wall and one directly opposite it on the far wall). Then two more couches angled off the end tables with sofa type tables behind them and decorated.

A nice size coffee table in the middle completes the arrangement and now it is a great conversation area. She used mirrors, ivy, a bowl with gold balls, and my books to decorate the bookcase. I hope this helps! (08/22/2005)

We are building a house and in the great room we will have a cathedral ceiling. There will be a huge wall of windows on the arch side and we would like to put the fireplace against that wall, but in the corner. I think it will look really odd to have the fireplace going up the corner of the wall that ends in two different heights. What do you think about this? We don't want to put the fireplace in the middle of the wall because that is where we want the entertainment center to go. Any suggestions? (01/06/2008)

By cmaas

We have a living room that's a direct step down from our eat-in area and kitchen. It has a cathedral ceiling with the higher end to the left if you are looking directly from the kitchen. The bad part is that the fireplace is right smack in the middle of the end wall. To the right of the fireplace is a window and on the other side of that window there are two more windows. We found a nice corner unit that fits our new TV right on this corner and from the kitchen the view is awesome.

The problem is we've just decided to buy a 5-piece sectional in which we are going to place on the left wall with the chaise chair parallel to the fireplace (which has about a foot of brick area extended out - sometimes friends used this as seating area). The corner piece is going to block my view of my open area by almost half and we we're lucky enough to find a piece that only juts out about 93 inches from the left wall. Our question, are we making a big mistake in putting a 5-piece sectional in this room? Too late now I guess! Next question, what could we put up on the empty area above the long side of the sectional (ie, the wall that goes all the way up to the second floor)? I know I am going to miss my big open space with that corner piece sticking out in the middle. (02/14/2008)

By Mag