Substituting Sour Cream for Oil in Cake Mix

I need a recipe to make a moist yellow and chocolate cake, or cupcake. My last cake was so dry, and it was made from scratch. I was told to use sour cream to substitute for oil, I don't know how much? Also, Duncan Hines would be the best bet, but I would like to add extra cake flour to the batter to spread it out. Has anybody heard this before, if so how much can be added along with the sour cream? Please help.

Thank you.

By a219170 from New Jersey

Here are some common substitutions:

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Common-Ingredient-Substitutions/Detail.aspx

http://thegourmetonline.com/content/Common_Substitutions.htm

I have used sour cream, plain yogurt, applesauce and mayonnaise as substitutions for oil. Start with the same amount of the substitute and mix all your ingredients together. Add more a tablespoon at a time until the batter is the same consistency you get when you make it with all the correct ingredients. You may eventually find that you like the recipe better with the substitute than with the correct ingredient.

I have made mayo cakes before and they were pretty moist. Mayo is basically oil + eggs.

Here is one from scratch:

http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=2080&Version=1

And one using a cake mix - with variations at the bottom:

http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=8241&Version=1

For cupcakes using cake mix & mayo...same recipe but different baking times:

http://www.bestfoods.com/recipe_detail.aspx?RecipeID=7998&Version=2

I always use applesauce instead of oil and my cakes are very good. I just use an equal amount and bake as usual. Sour cream is very fattening, but then so is cake, I guess.

As stated by another poster, applesauce is a proven substitute. I never use oil - applesauce is healthier.

You can use mayonnaise in place of the oil. Adding extra flour is probably what's making it dry. Add a half a cake mix and half the water, eggs, and oil. A typical cake mix (I also like Duncan Hines the best) fills a 9 x 13 x 2" pan.

Google "Cake Mix Extender". I know there is one on Recipezaar.com. I think this is probably what you are looking for. It is supposed to stretch cake mixes and make them taste homemade.

Hello. I use a lot of the tips given in the books by "The Cake Mix Dr." to make a mix taste more homemade. I always use melted butter instead of oil, I use whole milk or heavy cream instead of water, I add extra vanilla for vanilla cakes.

To help extend the cake, go to the cake mix section in the grocery store. Jiffy makes a package of "cake mix" that is about 1/2 of a regular box of cake mix. I have used it to make larger sheet cakes, as I have many Wilton cake pans that call for more than just 1 boxed mix will make.

Good luck! Tina

I, too, use applesauce in my cakes. I also use either milk or buttermilk in place of water. Both of these make for moist cakes. I learned the milk part from my mother. She was the best cook ever! And made the BEST Banana Bread ever. No one cam mke is like she did, even though we all have her recipe.

Debbie-Jenn

I don't know about substitutions but this is a great moist cake. Very easy too. All my cake mixes went out of date when I learned this one :)

Wacky Cake

3 cups flour

1/3 cup cocoa

1 teas. salt

3/4 cup oil

2 cups water

2 cups sugar

2 teas. baking soda

2 tbls. vinegar

1 teas. vanilla

Mix all and bake at 350 degrees

35 min. in greased 9x13 pan

18 min in cupcake papers

Very moist, chocolately cake.

Cake Mix in Bowl With Wisk
Improving Boxed Cake Mixes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CakesMay 18, 2009
piece of coffee cake
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
Fat Free Cream Cheese
Substituting Fat Free Cream Cheese When Baking
fresh delicious sour cream
Homemade Sour Cream Recipes
🎉
🎄