Remedies for Nail Ridges

Category Home Remedies
Hand with spread out fingers
Ridges on your nails can be caused by aging, trauma, or underlying medical conditions. Depending on the cause, there are different remedy options. This is a guide about remedies for nail ridges.

My nails have ridges and my nail tips are very ridged and break easily. What can I do to improve the nails?

By Mary

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Knox Jello-tin!

Hoof conditioner for horses works a real treat on people nails, too! It's inexpensive, and comes in a huge tub in the pet section at WalMart, or in any tack shop. Apply with cotton swabs to the nail and cuticles every night before you go to bed. You'll see a bug difference in about two weeks.

Weak nails can also indicate a vitamin or dietary deficiency, if the hoof conditioner doesn't help you might think about consulting with a health care provider.

If the ridges are vertical along the length of your nails, that may be a sign of diabetes. It was my first clue. However, you can also get gelatin caplets that you simply swallow like a pill. I hope that helps.

Lines on your nails that run from the top to the bottom (vertically) are a common sign of getting older. It is not a sign of any illness that I am aware of. I asked my Dr. There are some nail changes that are a sign of illness but this in not one of them. I have these lines and they do make my nails more prone to splitting. I think any nail conditioner would be helpful. I have found a finer nail file helps in not getting the splitting started. Buffing them off makes the splitting worse. There are products on the market that you put on before your nail polish that fill the ridges in. It works pretty well.

Fish oil helps my nails, they grow a lot faster and healthier after taking this supplement. Good luck.

*Fish oil has other added benefits also :)

What helps the ridges that are on my nails?

By Patricia from Flint, MI

Keep them polished with "Hard as nails polish" (I use clear) & take a one a day vitamin twice a week (I can't take them every day, gives me a headache), wear rubber gloves when washing dishes, good luck.

Get a medical check up, ridges can be a sign of poor vitamin and mineral absorption and can be a very subtle sign of poor health. diseased organs can cause ridges, weak nails, white dots, red nail bed rims, dark "moons", and moons vanishing completely. there's several good sites online that show pictures of fingernails with different issues and explains what those fingernails are trying to tell us.

For example, dark moons can denote poisoning or toxins. red nail bed rims can denote kidney disease. google fingernails and various accompanying terms to read more about these health issues.