Saving Money on Your Internet Connection

Tips for saving money on internet service as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Consider Dial Up

Ask yourself if there is a real need to have the fastest Internet service at premium prices. Keeping your computer maintained will keep your computer functioning faster.

Consider unlimited "Dial Up Service" for $9.95 a month. I prepay 3 years and have not had a problem with my local ISP. I feel I have more time than money! There is nothing that I need that fast to pay a premium price to have the fastest Internet Service.

By Syd from Dunkirk, MD

Look for Local Providers

We have been using Provide.net for about 2 years now. It's only $10 a month and we never have problems with them. They are more Mac friendly too. It's a local service and that's the key. You want the local services because they don't have all the overhead and advertising the big guys do. Everyone I know who's had AOL has problems and they're way too expensive. We had Earthlink before for $20 a month and they were fine. But it's only a connection to the internet and all of them can do it.

By Vicki

Shop Around and Pay in Advance

Check with the various internet providers and see if they have a better price if you prepay for a year at a time instead of monthly. I mentioned this to my daughter, who is on AOL, and to her surprise, it saved her about $50.00 a year. Keep the dollars in your pocket not your ISP's pockets.

By Syd

Netzero.com

We use the dial-up service with netzero.net and are only paying $6.95 per month. I have been with them for several years though to get this price.

By Jess

Verizon ISP and Cell Phone

If you have a Verizon cell phone that is USB enabled, Verizon is a free ISP. You use regular minutes with free use after 9 and on weekends.

By wsulecki

We had dial-up, both Toast and Prexar. The problem we had was it would take up to 55 minutes to download a full page photo and I bought 2 years of Panda Virus protections at about $60.00 each which we could not use more than 3 weeks each as the updates would not download. We would get cut off after being connected for a minute or two and it took more time than that for the updates to come in. We now have roadrunner for our TV, phone and computer at the cost of less than $80.00 total. We have minimum channels on our TV as we don't need more than 35 channels.

Hi--I had affordable dial up from 97 to Jan 2008. It was time to move up> I was able to stay with the same local service and go to high speed wireless for $10 more per month. My valued customership was finally worth something! Our here in rural MN, we don't get much choices except national Charter, or Embarq. So the little local ISPs need our business. I love being fast as my photos from my cameras take longer to send otherwise. An hr per photo is not fun and to be cut off means starting over with sending files.

The one perk I have is a referral gets me a month free when the newbie gives my name or I contact the ISP with the name and they sign up. Also, monthly trivia drawings let you get discounts off too. You could get a year free just with referrals.

Grandma J.

When I was on dial up I used phreego.com. It is a company of computer people tired of being used by the big guy.That had great service about 10.00 a month. I had netzero and If I did not stay on their site for a certain amount of time they would boot me off. People pc wasn't bad but too commercialized.

Beware! Some Internet Service Providers will save you money over others, but put spyware, adware, etc. on your computer. I had a lot of problems with People PC, tried a few others, but I'm very, very happy with TurboUSA.com. They charge $8.95 a month, and they speak the good ol' American language so you can understand them! They offer 24/7 support, but I've rarely had to call, but when I had a question, they were very nice, and guided me through step by step.

An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
Consumer Advice Shopping Home & GardenSeptember 5, 2008
cable modem
Having Internet Without a Computer
Spray Bottles With a Hose Connector
Uses for Spray Bottles With Hose Connectors
Internet Service Provider
Internet Service Provider Reviews
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
🎉
🎄