Separating Stored Ceramic Tiles That Are Stuck Together

I have ceramic tile on the kitchen wall. Some of them fell off and my mother packed them into a box. I want to put them back on the wall, but now after 15 years of storage, they have glued themselves together. How can I separate them without breaking them? The pattern is no longer continued so I do want to save them if possible. Any suggestions would be most helpful and appreciated.

By Amelia from Sioux Falls, SD

It may not be possible to salvage them as it sounds like the adhesive has glued the tiles to each other. Try soaking a few in water for a day and see what happens.

If soaking doesn't work, it might be worth trying to heat them to soften the glue. Try blowing a hot hair dryer at them. This time of year you could start by leaving them out in the hot sun! Good luck!

This is my tried and true way to get glued things apart: put the tiles on some foil or an old pan and put in the oven at 350 Deg. Wait 10 minutes, then take out carefully and pry apart with a screwdriver, or knife. repeat if necessary.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I was so happy to find them, until I found they were stuck together. The thought when she packed them away was "If they won't stick on the wall, they won't stick together."

Yes, I think it is hot enough to put them out in the sun. I will try all three ways and see which works the best.

Thank you all again. And yes, Straightace, I need all the luck I can get.

Home and Garden Repair Home WallsJuly 3, 2010
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Old brown tile
Repairing Uneven Tile Floor
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
pots and pans stuck together
Separating Dishes that are Stuck Together
🎄