Medium Weight Vinyl

I need to sew a strip of vinyl to a one-stoke brush holder so the brushes will not fall out. I have a Singer sewing machine about 40 years old. I would like to know what size needle and thread I need to use. Any suggestion?

Best Answer

you use a size 16 sewing needle as if your doing denim etc, the vinyl will stick to the feeddogs so you layer a piece of tissue paper on top of the vinyl, do your sewing stitches and when done tear the tissue away ....if this doesn't make sense to you repost back, sam

Best Answer

I also paint and have made my own brush holders. I used a bamboo placemat, sewed a length of elastic midway and attached a pretty silk ribbon to one end and added a pretty button to its end, and just tuck it under the silk ribbon after rolling up. As for dividing the elastic, I hand sewed every 3/4" to the bamboo. After I wash and soap my brushes into shape, I just slip them under the elastic, roll it up and PRESTO! My brushes keep their shape and can easily breathe to dry. my artist friend used canvas to sew elastic in. If you use the vinyl, it won't stretch for various size brushes, or other painting items.

artist AT isp.com

I WORKED AT A CUSTOM CANVAS SHOP FOR 15 YEARS. USE THE HEAVEST NEEDLE YOU CAN FIND (FOR DENIM) AND HEAVY THREAD. SEW WITH THE WIDEST STITCH AND GO SLOW OR IT WILL NOT SEW RIGHT. OR YOU COULD TAKE IT TO AN AWNING OR CANVAS SHOP AND HAVE IT DONE FOR YOU FOR A COUPLE OF BUCKS. GOOD LUCK!