BathroomHome Improvement

Painting a Laminate Tub

Has anyone painted a laminate tub or shower? I have seen counters. In my bathroom, the counter is one unit. The sinks and top are laminate and then it dips down and and the tub is molded out of the same color, etc. The shower is the same way. Any way to paint it all?

By Mel L. from CA

The pros use an epoxy based paint for the best results that last.

Besides painting with epoxy,

If it's not stained & scratched, you can do what the TV designer Christopher Lowell says: Camouflage the color by using it as an accent color. For example, say a guy has a pink tile, tub & sink in his bathroom he despises. What you'd do pick another color that you like (like black). You'd decorate with black as your main color. maybe paint the walls gray, then put black towels, rug, shower curtain & accessories. Using only a tiny bit of pink as an accent color (maybe in hand towels). When you go into the bathroom, your eye will go to the black, toning down the pink. This can be done with any color. Say your bathroom had yellow tile, you could use a dark or medium blue as your main color, using only a tiny bit of yellow. With Turquoise, you could also use black & maybe silver too!

If it is stained & scratched, you can buff the stains & scratches out. There are many good products on the market for this.

Thank you so very much. I truly appreciate your help. The only problem I have is that the green is exploding in my bathroom. it is across my counter ( the sink is even made in it-it is my whole tub area and the whole shower area. (wall etc.) it really needs to be replaced but the cost for a new tub and shower unit is a lot.

I was hoping I count paint the whole lot of it as I have seen done on previous laminate jobs. But I am concerned about the shower and tub. (water etc.) I was hoping someone has done it or knows of a product that works.