Lilies Not Flowering

Q: I have bought some Peace Lilies. I had read somewhere they can survive on low light and needed watering once a week but have noticed the leaves are turning yellow and not flowering anymore. Any information would really be appreciated. I am hoping I can save them. Could you also tell me if they are poisonous to children and pets?

Thank you,
Ruth from Ontario, Canada

A: Ruth,

The ideal conditions for Peace Lilies this time of year include a reasonably warm room where they are out of direct sunlight, and where they will not be exposed to cold drafts. They actually prefer brighter light in the winter and semi-shade in the summer. The pots should be surrounded by peat moss or sitting in a pebble tray to maintain humidity. This is especially important in colder climates like yours, where indoor winter air tends to be very dry. Peace Lilies need to have their leaves misted very frequently in the winter. The compost should be kept fairly moist at all times, but you should definitely back off on the watering.

In regards to their toxicity, I have seen several resources that list them as toxic to both children and pets, so I would recommend keeping them well out of the reach of both.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

try here:

there were more sites when I googled "peace lilly care" or "peace lily not flowering/yellow leaves"

Local nurseries are often good sources of info, even a GOOD florist who sells the type of palnt involved.

I I have a peace lilly plant, and it loves to be root bound and water logged. But if you want it to flower, let it dry out until it starts to wilt. Water well with a plant fertilizer and it will perk up and bloom.

They bloom on a regular basis of about 4 times a year.

Sometimes with a new plant in a new enviornment they have to get into the pattern by forcing them.

Good luck!

Anna in Calgary

thanx Ellen and all for your help...hopefully I can save what's left of them and put them up higher away from animals and the grandsons

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersMarch 16, 2006
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Orange Day Lilies
Getting Rid Of Day Lilies