Use Bathwater for Cleaning

I take a warm bath every night and I hate wasting the water. I leave it in the tub and add bleach. Then I use this to clean bathroom floors, soak any plastic that has been discolored, freshen mops, sponges, even stained towels. I find I am getting a lot done with this new idea.

By Linda from Rochester, NY

We live in the country and the well water is really bad so we haul all of our water for the house. I keep a small pail in the bathroom and bail the water from the tub into the toilet tank. I also have a small pail in the kitchen in which I catch water when I rinse my hands, etc. and collect it a pail in the bathroom and also use it to flush the toilet. Surprising how much water you sometimes use. People who have easy access to good water don't realize how lucky they are.

For watering plants and your garden, I would use it before the bleach. And the cleaning sounds ok...but the plastics? The last thing I would want to deal with are all the dead skin cells in a bathtub. If they are for eating from, you may want to just soak them overnight in some bleach water.

Hi! Yes, I lived backwoods for years and without plumbing - so we had running water - by foot! It is surprising what most folks take for granted! In the winter we always had a very large stock pot of water on the stove and we had instant washing up water from it (washing dishes or for a basin for personal washup). Then if the watsr wasn't too bad we washed other things with it. (The floor, bleaching out rags, and other wipe downs) until the water was done and we then walked the 'grey' out. I know it is a culture shock, most folks who have never had anything but running hot and cold water at their disposal are perplexed, confused, or disgusted! I really thank God for running water and things like the washer/dryer every time I use them too! (I am in my early fourties!)

I can't imagine having to do these things you folks are doing. Sounds like wagon train days to me and I know that it would be difficult for us to do. I'm all for saving water and we always turn it off when we brush our teeth, etc., but using bath water for anything except the yard? I don't think so. Too much skin and soap......ugh. Guess I'm one of those listed in another post who feels disgusted by that.

I can't imagine having to do these things you folks are doing. Sounds like wagon train days to me and I know that it would be difficult for us to do. I'm all for saving water and we always turn it off when we brush our teeth, etc., but using bath water for anything except the yard? I don't think so. Too much skin and soap...ugh. Guess I'm one of those listed in another post who feels disgusted by that.

As for the bleach part..... How much bleach are you using? If it's a lot every day and you have a septic system this could create a BIG problem. You could damage the system to where it does not work. Talk to the company that cleans out your septic system and hear what they have to say.... Also with the bleach wear old clothes when you are cleaning with it.

This reminds me of when I was a child visiting my grandparents. They had a well but it wasn't very good and water was scarce. MawMaw would run about 3 inches of water in the tub and each kid would take turns getting in the same water! Boy, how I did hate that!!! Wasn't so bad if you were first, second, or maybe third but when my turn got down to sixth or seventh I would just stand and wash my feet and legs (the part that would show under my nighty) and skip the rest until I could go to my home where city water was plentiful. We would argue over our places in line and tried to stay close to MawMaw when it got evening so she would lasso the nearest kid and "make" them go first. Thanks God for lloooog hot showers.

I'm in N TX and we're in stage 4 drought. Our lakes are under 30% I've been reusing bath and washing machine water for a year now. Available water is getting scarce. Our city is almost finished with a water reuse system to treat used water and add it back into the fresh water coming into the system from the lakes. People are spoiled and take fresh water for granted. Everyone needs to get a grip that this could happen anywhere and it's not under human control.

Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterAugust 19, 2008
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Bath Water
Reusing Bath Water
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
🎄
🍂