Purslane Potato Salad

• 5 cups chopped potatoes
  • 1 cucumber, chopped into half moon slivers
  • 1 cup purslane, leaves and buds (flowers and stalks are edible as well, if you choose)
  • 1 cup chopped scallions with greens
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-2 finely chopped Serrano peppers
  • 4 - 6 Tbsp. white wine or cider vinegar
  • freshly ground pepper and salt to taste

In a medium pot, boil potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside to cool. In a bowl, mix cucumber, purslane, and scallions. Add potatoes and mix well.

In a small, wide bowl, whisk egg yolk until smooth. Drip in, whisking constantly, olive oil, making sure to add slowly enough to keep mixture opaque. Add salt and Serrano peppers. Mix well. Spoon over potato and vegetable mixture (There may be some spicy mayo leftover; it will keep in the fridge for at least a week, if not longer)

Add white wine or cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well and serve at room temperature.

Serves 4-6

Source: http://www.diaryofalocavore.com/2008/08/purslane-potato-salad.html

By cebtoo from San Antonio, TX

Editor's Note: Here is information about purslane:

I believe in the Green Pharmacy [ the best $7 dollars I ever spent on a book] it says purslane is also good for asthma

sufferers. I also recommend the book, which I bought in 1997 so it might have gone up a bit in price. I believe I ordered it from Barnes and Noble, but Borders could probably get it too.

A bunch of green purslane.
Recipes Using Purslane
Food and Recipes Recipes Salads PotatoMay 19, 2009
Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chip Recipes
Potato Salad Dressing
Potato Salad Dressing Recipes
Hot Potato Salad
Hot Potato Salad Recipes