VirusesComputers

Restoring Computer Without a Recovery Disk

My HP computer got a virus. How can I restore it? The original restore disk is broken.

By celianoyola from TX

I would go to the HP website www.hp.com and first try the "contact" link to see about getting a replacement disk.

Also, under "connect with others" they have forums where you can get help from other users, much the same as posting questions here, with no tech support fee. There's a good chance that someone has the answer to your problem.

If you have Windows XP, once you get rid of the virus you might be able to do a "restore" to a previous date, no recovery disk needed.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

If the computer is operational except for the virus, clean it with various tools, all free:

1. Clamwin, www.clamwin.com. Download and install the software, download and install the virus updates, and run a complete scan.

2. Malwarebytes, www.malwarebytes.org. Download and install the free version, download and install the updates, run a complete scan.

These two tools should be left on your computer and run scans regularly. If you find them valuable, be sure to make donations (clamwin) or upgrade to the paid version (malwarebytes) when you can.

I've gone to system restore in the system tools. Go to all programs, then accessories, then system restore.

If you use system restore, make sure you clean the virus from your system first, or you will carry the virus to the restored operating system.Another free antivirus that works very well is Avast. You could install Avast, and do a complete scan. It should find the virus and give you instructions on how to quarantine it. I have used Avast for 3 years, and it has saved me from many emails that were infected with a virus.

Harlean from Arkansas

Why don't you make your computer run faster and without the all the virus & spyware issues? Install Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com) instead of Windows. My $300 laptop (with Mint OS) boots, connects to the wireless and is ready to run in under a minute. Linux is free and so is the software that you need to run.