Security Software Compatible with Windows Vista

My computer is Windows Vista/Hewlett-Packard. My security is Norton 360, the only system that was compatible with Vista at the time. I'll have to install new security in a few months. Can anyone recommend a good system? One that works, is easy to install, and doesn't cost a terrible amount?

360 was extremely easy to install but it is expensive and not all that great. I'm still kind of new about computers, everything confuses me, and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Jo from Hampton Roads, VA

Try the website The Computer Lady, www.askTLC.com she has great ideas.

Three free programs I use and am happy with AVG Free, Comodo Personal Firewall and Advanced Windows Care Personal. Take a look and see if they fit your situation. Do a search on Google to find the sites.

My tech recommends Kaspesky. Norton is a memory hog. Kaspersky is 1/2 the price. I am using AVG and quite satisfied.

Doesn't your Norton do automatic updates?

I have Windows Vista also and installed McAfee with no problems. You can sometimes get a good deal at FreeAfterRebate.info - just make sure you read ALL the fine print of the rebate. I didn't read all the requirements of the rebate program and paid a little more than I wanted to, which was entirely my fault, not an issue with the website. Otherwise, you might be able to find something there.

Please do yourself a favor and check out AVG. The free version is great, and often will find stuff the "big name" ones wont. I found 2 virus that Mcafee and Norton both overlooked.

Just google for AVG and it will come right up.

Norton/Symantec update cost me about $35. It is the best you can get and is worth it.

Liz

After buying all the antivirus programs, I decided on Avast. I like it even better than AVG. And it's FREE!

Go to Downloads.com these are all free. just pick out what you want.

Hi! Have you checked http://www.majorgeeks.com ? They have tons of freeware and shareware for all operating systems. The bonus with using shareware is that you can actually install and use the product before you make the decision to buy it.

And who knows? You may find something free there that works great and won't cost you anything!

Cheri in S.C.

When I first got my computer,I had Norton on it.I was constantly getting a virus! After 2 years,I went to use my computer and it had over 300 virus"s.Of course my computer was ruined.After that I went to the free version of AVG.In 4 years now,I have never had another virus,no thanks to Norton.Try it,it really does work !!

I work at a computer repair shop. We have used and sold Stop Sign (eAcceleration) for years. They are not expensive, and based in the US. As a side kick, we also use Spyware Doctor.