Training a Pitbull Puppy

I have a 8 week old Pit. Is it OK to put him on his back and hold his mouth till he becomes submissive? Or is it OK to put him on his back and continue staring at him till he looks away? Should I not try these at all?

By Ella from Seattle, WA

Best Answer

I agree with "looneylulu". A Pit Bull doesn't need "special" training, only regular "good training". Even though they are a naturally aggressive breed, (which could be controlled with proper handling) the bad rep that Pit Bull's get is from obnoxious pet owners that train their dogs to be mean and fight for their lives.

Please check into a local American Kennel Club (AKC) branch or chapter and ask about "Obedience Classes". A reputable club will accept all breeds, mixes and mutts and the skills you and your dog will learn will be a lifetime benefit for both of you.

One other point of advice, Ella. I know what you are talking about by trying to get your dog on his/her back for understanding submission, but this should not be tried without you, the human, being adequately trained in this procedure. Again, a puppy or dog (any breed, mix or mutt) with appropriate obedience training probably does not need this in the first place and doing so unnecessarily, causes excessive stress on the dog. Please don't try to implement this type of "training" without the help of a pet training professional.

Please look into Obedience Classes. You and your pup will learn from and enjoy the experience and they are not very expensive, either. (Mostly they just cover the costs of the club offering the classes.) Take care Ella and puppy! P.S. Your puppy is a cutie pie! Wishing you and the pup the best of a long and happy friendship!

Not sure why you want to do the things you listed. Do have a certain problem with him, or just worried because he's a pit bull. They have a bad rep, which is basically false, you train as you would any other dog. Pit bulls have been inbred so much that certain charateristics have been brought out. If your pup is from a rep breeder or you know the parents I wouldn't worry about him being a pit bull. They are what you make them.

Your training is cruel. Please don't train that way or you will change a perfectly good dog into a nervous unhappy wreck. Don't treat any animal with cruelty. Bad treatment of animals often leads to bad treatment of humans.

What you are doing is abusive. You need to go to pets mart and get training there. It is free. You are teaching you baby to be aggressive....would you like someone to hold you down like that?...I always treat my dogs as my own babies.

I tried both of them with my pit bull and didn't work

Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Pit BullJanuary 3, 2011
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
House Training a Pitbull
House Training a Pitbull
Black and white Pitbull puppy.
Training a Pitbull to Not Bite