Place Wet Towel Around a Cake Pan for Flatter Cakes

Cut old towel the height of the cake pan and length of the circumference or perimeter of the pan. If the towel is thin, make it twice the height and fold in in half lengthwise. Before putting the cake batter in the pan, wet the towel strip and put it around the outside of the cake pan, pinning it in place with straight pins or safety pins. It will keep the edges from cooking sooner than the center and result in a flatter cake top for decorating.

By Har'et from Lakewood, CA

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

sew a couple of magnets in the cloth, store and re-use the same rags instead of using pins. Wilton has something like this - think they start at 12$ (Cdn) - they are telfon coated but if you had old oven gloves you could cut and make this also.

Is this apt to cause a fire in a hot oven? Sorry this sounds like a dangerous thing to do. Why take the chance?

I've done this for years. I always twisted the towels before pinning them around the cake pan and they have always remained a bit damp. I have never had to worry about a fire.

If you want to illiminate the "hump" on the top of your cake, just take a dishtowel and gently press down on the top of the cake until you reach the rim of the cakepan when you take it out of the oven. If you want a really moist cake, after gently pushing down on the cake top, place a piece of toweling on the cake, and invert it onto a cake rack. Then put it in a clean plastic bag, ( I use a clean garbage bag), and tie it up. When the cake is totally cooled, remove it from the bag. The top of the cake is going to have moisture on it, so I use a couple of pieces of toweling, place it on the cake, and flip it over on to a cookie sheet until I'm finished with my frosting. When I'm ready to frost my cake, the "hump" of the cake is sitting on your cakeplate. I get compliments all the time because the cake is so moist.

Cake Baking Tips And Tricks
Cake Baking Tips And Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesMay 21, 2008
A beach towel wedding cake.
Making a Towel Wedding Cake
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Two chocolate cake layers in pans on a cooling rack
Preventing Cakes from Sticking to a Cake Pan
🎉
🎄