Cat With Excessive Shedding

I help out at my local humane society, especially with the cats. Because the cats are often from abusive homes, or are very scared to be in the shelter, they shed non stop! Brushing does no good, since cat hair is so fine that most brushes don't pick it up. Right now there is one white cat that sheds so much, after I'm done petting her I am literally covered head to toe with hair!

The cats are too traumatized for anything like a bath, but they also are less likely to be adopted if they shed so bad that you can't see straight. Does anyone know a good way to help rid this white cat of all the extra hair? I've been trying a wet paper towel before I pet her just to remove all the extra hair, but it only helps a tiny bit. I cannot afford any expensive brush or potion from the store, and neither can the shelter. There must be a simple, homemade way to get this extra hair off of th cat, and me! Any help?

Aysha from Boise, Idaho

A damp terry cloth towel might help. You could also try dryer sheets. Good luck!

Are you sure there isn't a health or nutritional problem involved? That sounds like an awful lot of shedding, compared to the similarly stressed-out cats you deal with.

Call your vet and ask. They won't charge you to answer questions like that. He may have a good answer for you.

I have read that cleaning gloves will take it off of your furniture. Maybe you could try petting her with the gloves on. Although, I'm not too sure that wouldn't pull her hair. For your furniture, you just put on the gloves and wipe down the furniture. The hair rolls right off.

I have a furminator for my dog which works great. They have one for a cat too. Maybe this would work.

This is what I would do buy some treats from the store and get an old comb and while the cat is eating just comb her and make sure you have a small trash can with you. When I am on the potty (small trailer with a hubby and daughter and dog) Titus likes it is the bathroom litter box is their and so in food and she likes to sit in the bathtub and stare at the dog). Anyway I just comb her and doesn't botter at all.

Visit your local beauty supply for a wig comb, which has teeth of varying lenghts that are spaced close together. Very effective in removing excess loose hair and many kitties really like how the comb feels.

Buy a plastic 25 cent comb normally used for humans. It should work well.

I use a comb (any people comb) on my indoor cats. who shed a lot! And they seem to like it. btw, A carpet sweeper picks up fur just as good as vacuum cleaner and you don't have to use up all your vacuum bags. I wish I knew an easy way to get it off me but the only thing I use is a damp sponge and that's not too great. I do find that wearing denim is good. The fur/hair does not stick to it.

I feel your pain! We adopted a cat with this problems. No amount of brushing/combing will get it all. Though I do continue to try. One thing that helps keep the fur from floating everywhere is to put him on a piece of fleece. It's really cheap at the fabric store. I sit him on it when I'm brushing or petting him. If he wants to sit in my lap, I put it on my lap as a barrier to protect my clothes. Something about the fleece attracts the fur. Also, I've started putting pieces down where my cats like to lay. They seem to like it and this way I can just pick them up and throw them in the wash.

I don't know where you live but I found the most awesome pet hair remover at our local Ace / Aco Hardware for 2.00 you roll it over the hair and it picks it up and puts it in a lil compartment that you empty. It's great! I got one for my mom too. I have 2 kitties that love my 14 yr old and they lay on her bed and wow what a mess they leave behind. It also works on rugs carpet and furniture. Good Luck. Sorry I don't remember the name of it.

June 7, 2013 Flag

I am taking care of my aunt's cat while she is in rehab from a car accident. She will be there for another 2 months at least. This cat sheds like crazy! I brush her every-other-day and I get a huge pile of fur and there is still more to get off. It's like it's never-ending. There is cat fur all over her home and it's just too much to spend every day there cleaning her place. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

By Kat

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well...shedding does not ever stop, but you should be able to get it under control to a certain extent. Get a "furminator" for cats at the pet store. These will take out a lot more hair than a brush. Start slowly and be sure to read the directions. Most cats like it and you can get a ton of hair out. Good luck, and good for you for taking care of this kitty.

A Persian cat with long hair.
Reducing Your Cat's Shedding
Pets CatsJuly 24, 2008
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A dog's brush next to a pile of dog hair.
Reducing Your Dog's Shedding
A dog sitting on a couch.
Reducing Pet Hair in Your Home
Excessive Sweating
Remedies for Excessive Sweating
🎉
🎄