Introducing a Pit Bull to Cats

We are fostering a Pit Bull Boston Terrier mix from the Humane Society. How can we introduce her to our 2 cats? She knows what room they are in and just stares down the hallway. We tried to introduce them, but she goes nuts. We think she goes nuts, maybe she just wants to play?

We put a cloth muzzle on her tonight and while the cat was on top of the bed brought her into the bedroom. She wanted to get at the cat. Her prey drive seems strong. We've only had her a week. She seems to be fine around our other 2 small dogs.

Any advice is much appreciated.

By Maria from fort Worth, TX

Maybe she wants them for dinner. Not all dogs do well with cats. Keep them separated for at least a week. Let them smell each other under the door, but that's it. Try rubbing the cats with a towel and the dog with a towel; leave these around for the other animals (that is, give the dog the cats' towel) so they get used to each other's scent. Keep the dog on a leash at all times near the cats and/or in a crate while the cats roam free. Make sure the cats always have an escape, such as a high piece of furniture if they need it. If any animal feels trapped at any time, you may have trouble. Also, phone your vet's office and ask for tips. They should be happy to help. Good luck!

Since you are fostering I would suggest calling the Humane Society you are fostering for and ask them to take her back with the reason why and have them find a foster home that does not have cats. It's just not worth risking your cats health and lives! I have personally witnessed firsthand an aggressive breed tear up a cat and it's not a pretty sight to see or to hear :-(

I had the same issue, but with a shepard/lab mix and 3 cats. What I did was this; I used a 4' x 6' or so section of lattice wood (normally used in gardens or to seal off the underneath of porches or decks). I placed it in a prime position (in my case in a hallway wedged between a door and the kitchen wall). It allowed the cats to have the bedroom areas and the dog to be in the living room, kitchen and dining area - allowed easier access for outside. When I first put it up, the dog and cats were on their respective sides and hissed and barked at each other.

After about a week, they were so used to seeing each other, smelling each other, that I took the opportunity and took it down. No problem! They then were used to each other and got along fine. Hope this helps! Time and the opportunity of seeing and smelling each other seemed to take the edge away. After that they all lived together for a very long time...with no issues.

March 9, 2010 Flag

Introducing a Pit Bull to Cats
I just rescued a female pit bull yesterday, she is about 2 years of age. I also have 2 cats, when she sees my cats she runs to them and whimpers at them. She doesn't growl, but she does bark. I need to know if she is trying to play or if she is trying to hurt or possibly kill my cats. How can I get them to be buddies without fighting?

Jordeana from Swansboro, NC

Answers:

Introducing a Pit Bull to Cats

You had better be super careful and "always" keep a good eye on your innocent little cats because that dog may easily hurt them (thinking they are prey). I would be very wary. Why don't you call a dog trainer or dog psychologist (or even a vet) and just ask them this one question. Also, keep an eye on your cats and watch their reaction as this dog could easily freak the little sweeties out. (09/15/2008)

By Cyinda

Introducing a Pit Bull to Cats

The dog won't have to be angry or aggressive if the cats run. She'll probably chase and might catch. I personally don't think this is a good combination. If the dog had been raised with cats, maybe. (09/15/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Introducing a Pit Bull to Cats

My suggestion to you is to watch Cesar Milan, The Dog Whisperer or go to his web site:

cesarmillaninc.com He has some great tips on training dogs. (09/16/2008)

By Orlff

Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 9, 2010
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄