Ripening an Avocado

This is always how I do it. Put the unripe avocado(s) in a small paper bag (like a paper lunch bag) with a moderately ripe banana. Put the bag in a warm location, such as the top of your fridge for a day or two. The ethylene gas given off the banana will quickly ripen the avocado. I find this works for other fruit as well.

By Thoms_here from AR

I am a florist and for about 25 years we have done the same thing to open flowers that are not opening quickly enough. But we use an apple half and tent the bucket of flowers with plastic and put the apple half on the bucket rim. At home I put the avocados in a paper bag with an apple half and overnight they ripen beautifully. The ethylene gas really does the trick. That is why you cannot store fresh flowers with fruit, or it will "age" the flowers.

Ripening Avocados
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Plump Avocado Seed Rooting into Jar
Growing an Avocado from a Pit
🎉
🎄