Mix in Baby Food to Get Extra Veggies

Being a single working mother, I am always on the run. It's hard to come home after working all day and make the most nutritional meal. A lot of times we end up having quick fixes and I forget to add a fresh vegetable. Part of the solution is that I always keep handy jars of vegetable baby food. That way, if we are having something like spaghetti, I can mix a jar in the sauce and no one knows the difference. I also mix some in ketchup. No one can ever tell. It's cheap and we get our daily serving of vegetables.

By Lynne from Lynn, MA

Be careful of ketchup, it's full of sugar.

With spaghetti sauce I mince up mushrooms and carrots really fine, saute them and add them to sauce, that with meat and it's hard to tell the difference and everyone is happy. A lot of jarred sauces are full of sugar and even fat (and those are the ones without meat!) so you have to be careful that those don't cancel out the benefits of having tomatoes for vegie and lycopene.

Fresh veggies have the enzymes your body needs. The processed foods (frozen, dried, canned, jarred) don't.

The processing kills the enzymes.

Try making a point of having something fresh and healthy at each meal (like a fresh veg or fruit for dessert).

I take a jar of sauce and a jar of canned great northern beans and throw them in the blender -then I use that sauce to make pasta with sauce. I take any leftovers and freeze them in ice cube trays for quick small servings of pasta sauce for lunches or for my toddler.

Frozen veggies are just as good for you as the fresh in most cases - and in some cases the flavor is better!

Keep on doing the little things you can to add the veggies in - some is better than none!!!

More info on frozen versus fresh vegetables:

http://www.wisegeek.com/are-frozen- ... ables-less-nutritious-than-fresh.htm

I've been adding the baby food meats to most everything from soups to sauces/casseroles for added protein for my vegan grandson who fears the death of an animal for food. I also add two Calcium

tabs to citrus juices, and add babyfood veggies to

every soup. Sometimes I also add oatmeal and tuna

to whatever I can hide it in. I believe it's every mom or grandmom's responsibility to take care of these

little ones during their various hang-up years.

God bless you. Keep up the good work! : )

Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingMay 23, 2007
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas