Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Remove Pen From The Wall

How can I remove splashes of felt tip pen off my bedroom wall?

By Kim from Wigan, WN

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Mylisa12/27/2010

Try a slightly wet magic eraser (doesn't have to be name brand).

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Remove Pen From The Wall

If you have a little artist who gets hold of an ink pen and marks your walls up, the best thing you can do is spray aerosol hairspray on it. You can immediately see the ink start to run and all you have to do is take an old rag and wipe the ink off.

By Lesa

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

This sounds great. Thanks for the tip. I wonder what would happen though, if the ink marks have been left to dry?

I came across a fantastic product in Australia and I can only sing it's praises. A friend on the Flying in Western Australia Yahoo group put me onto it. It's called Chux Magic Erasers. Most supermarkets stock them. They feel like the foam things florists stick their flowers when making arrangements. They come in six cubes per packet. You wet the squares slightly so that they are just a little damp and rub marks like you would use a pencil eraser. Actually, that's just the size of them. Although when we first used them we used them dry and they worked perfectly well too.

We bought an ex-rental house cheaper, because of the damage the tenants did. There was a felt tip pen smiley face drawn on the kitchen bench and we tried everything, and I mean everything to get it off. I went out and bought a packet to try it and used it first on the smiley face and it disappeared before our eyes. My 14 year old DD went around the house rubbing all the marks she knew about and the walls looked like they had been scrubbed clean.

I then let a friend know, because she had a rent inspection the following week and her girls had decided to use the walls to display their pencil drawings (yikes). She is also now singing this product's praises.

Funnily enough, the next month we received a sample packet in the letterbox. I used the last one the other day. Sorry if this product isn't available in the US, but since we have a few Aussies on the list, I thought I'd share. God bless Bev in Western Australia (10/16/2004)

By Ozbev

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Antibacterial hand gel also works well on pen marks and marker. I've also used it to remove black marks from my granddaughter's tennis shoes.

jeangnome46 (10/20/2004)

By jeangnome46

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Here in the US we have the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. It works great on glossy or semi gloss paint, but not as well on matte. Also be careful with it, it likes to remove the paint and you have to rinse it a lot otherwise it will leave color streaks if you are getting rid of crayon. (11/04/2004)

By Jamie

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

This worked great. I actually used it when my son got a hold of a pen and one of his board books. I just used a paper towel. It took a lot of pressure, but it took it off for the most part. Thanks. (01/10/2007)

By Tiffany

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

I tried the bug spray Off, and it worked. (07/21/2008)

By BevW

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

I tried the magic erasers and the antibacterial gel and found the gel far more effective. It pretty much melted it and I just wiped the gel away. Ta for the tip. (08/11/2008)

By Crystal

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

I find that baby wipes are amazing to get permanent marker and pen marks off of walls and furniture. (08/14/2008)

By jenthehen77

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

It also kinda works for White Out. (10/18/2008)

By GG

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Use an alcohol pad. The same thing happened to me with my daughter and it came right off of the wall instantly. (11/26/2008)

By Suzanne

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

I tried all of the above and none of it worked. The hairspray did make the pen bleed a bit, but it didn't come off all the way. Finally I took a Brillo Pad to the scribbles and it came off instantly. No damage done to the white walls. (12/13/2008)

By Kelly

Archive: Remove Pen From The Wall

My 2 year old daughter got a hold of a black ink pen and marked several times on my wall. Any advice on how to get it off, without taking the paint off the wall? Besides repainting the wall.

By Rachel from Jacksonville, FL

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Use a cheap brand of toothpaste with baking soda and a warm wet washcloth. Gently scrub the pen off the paint. No stains from any cleaning sprays. (10/17/2009)

By tami333

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Toothpaste works, but it has to be a white paste type...no gel, and not coloured. (10/20/2009)

By catastrofy

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

Try hand sanitizer. I used it on my counters at work and it took off all the ink. (10/21/2009)

By Danialle

RE: Remove Pen From The Wallpaper

Hey all, great news! My 2 year old niece drew with a pen all over my passage which is covered with white wallpaper. We successfully removed it with Brasso Polish. A bit of scrubbing and rubbing needed, but works brilliantly. Cheers (01/06/2010)

By Yolande

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

I used Brasso too, great tip, came off very quickly and it was a DVD marker used by the "artist". (06/30/2010)

By mybeck

RE: Remove Pen From The Wall

It's the alcohol in the hand sanitizer that's doing the trick. Just plain old rubbing alcohol will do the same thing and it's cheaper. (10/23/2010)

By sleepypants