Reuse Produce Bags for Food Storage

The clear fruit and veggie bags that I get at the grocery store (the ones in the fresh produce section that are on a roll) make excellent freezer bags. Because they're thin, I double them up. And because they're usually too long for my need, I simply tie a knot where I need it and snip off the remaining tail.

These bags can also be used as an alternative to Saran Wrap when putting away leftovers. They will stretch and fit around average sized dinner plates and bowls.

Whenever I need a plastic bag for something, my first thought is to go to my supply of produce bags. They've been used for so many things and best of all, they're free. If and when possible, I don't use purchased heavier duty bags for anything.

Source: Living on a tight budget.

By Mlina from Amherstburg, ON

Well, I buy freezer bags in different sizes, use them the first time, then I wash them and save them. Next time I only buy cheap sandwich bags, fold top work great for small things, use them for what i want to freeeze and stick them in a washed freezer bag and get a different color piece of paper to write on what it is and the date( different colors for different months so it is easier to use up the old). this way the food is in a clean bag, but protected with the other. Produce bags are great, but too thin ( even doubled) for freezing. styrofoam trays are great too. Usual I freeze my meat or veggies in a cheap bag on the tray and then put it in a freezer bags. Easier to stack. Bread bags work good too, they are heavy.

I recycle bags all the time. I use the plastic sleeve bags from the newspaper to put poopy diapers in. Or keep one in my purse or in the car for putting your wet umbrella in. Also use Target or Walmart bags as trash liners in bathrooms. I use bread bags for storing cut onions or different veggies. Also for sandwiches for DH lunches. Lots of uses.