Reuse Produce Bags for Food Storage

The clear fruit and veggie bags that I get at the grocery store (the ones in the fresh produce section that are on a roll) make excellent freezer bags. Because they're thin, I double them up. And because they're usually too long for my need, I simply tie a knot where I need it and snip off the remaining tail.

These bags can also be used as an alternative to Saran Wrap when putting away leftovers. They will stretch and fit around average sized dinner plates and bowls.

Whenever I need a plastic bag for something, my first thought is to go to my supply of produce bags. They've been used for so many things and best of all, they're free. If and when possible, I don't use purchased heavier duty bags for anything.

Source: Living on a tight budget.

By Mlina from Amherstburg, ON

Well, I buy freezer bags in different sizes, use them the first time, then I wash them and save them. Next time I only buy cheap sandwich bags, fold top work great for small things, use them for what i want to freeeze and stick them in a washed freezer bag and get a different color piece of paper to write on what it is and the date( different colors for different months so it is easier to use up the old). this way the food is in a clean bag, but protected with the other. Produce bags are great, but too thin ( even doubled) for freezing. styrofoam trays are great too. Usual I freeze my meat or veggies in a cheap bag on the tray and then put it in a freezer bags. Easier to stack. Bread bags work good too, they are heavy.

I recycle bags all the time. I use the plastic sleeve bags from the newspaper to put poopy diapers in. Or keep one in my purse or in the car for putting your wet umbrella in. Also use Target or Walmart bags as trash liners in bathrooms. I use bread bags for storing cut onions or different veggies. Also for sandwiches for DH lunches. Lots of uses.

October 21, 2009 Flag

The thin, clingy plastic bags available at grocery stores for fresh fruit and vegetables are nearly indispensable at home.

I bake bread (high fiber whole wheat)e very five days or so and put a cooled loaf in one of them.

If you buy meat in bulk and want to divide it into meal sized portions they are also very good; because they cling so close and are flexible, you can squeeze out the air to avoid freezer burn although in my case the food is used before freezer burn sets in.

You can also put garbage scraps in them to seal in the odor to avoid attracting animals.

By Tracy from Kansas City

Answers:

Reuse Produce Bags For Bread, Meat And More

If you put your baked bread in the bags while the bread is warm from the oven, the crust will be soft like store-bought. (07/25/2008)

By Noella

I also use bread bags a lot, you can pull them down really tight, and even double them over for some things, so it's extra protection. I tie them or save the ties as well. I very seldom have an issue with freezer burn or taste, even if I go over the recommended time frame. (07/28/2008)

By beckie

Plastic produce bag full of vegetables.
Uses for Plastic Produce Bags
Food and Recipes StorageOctober 21, 2009
Oranges in Mesh Bag
Uses for Mesh Orange Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Air Filled Packing Bag
Uses for Air Filled Packing Bags
🎉
🎄