Growing A Vegetable Garden In Pots

Yes you can! This is a picture of my deck vegetable garden - all in pots. This is not my first year to do this, but this is the first time I have had so much (the squirrels usually dig up the seeds before they even get started). What you see are tomatoes, green and yellow beans, cucumbers, yellow squash, and zucchini. I have several plants of each. I am looking forward to making and freezing soup, dessert breads, and pasta sauce - not to mention what will be eaten straight from the garden. It is possible to have a great, productive garden without too much space or work.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Great job! Would you please let us know your 'yield' when fall rolls around?

Congratulations on such a beautiful garden! This is my first year to grow any kind of veggie in a pot, and I chose bell peppers. They are doing nice and almost ready to pick. I have mine in my driveway, as this is the only place on our property that has the sun that I need! Next year I'll try more veggies. Our soil is so hard that it's so much easier to plant things in pots.

That is lovely. This has giving me some ideal where to start with my garden.

Marie - what kind of soil did you use for the vegetable pots? Did you grow them from seed or small plants? Great idea.

Thanks. You've inspired me to get out some old clay pots and plant some spinach and lettuce when the weather gets cooler.

I would also like to know what kind of soil you used?

Our raised gardens and in pots are not doing well at all, in fact PITIFUL.Plants and seeds both. And we bought bags of different kinds of potting soil,planter mix and even got the back of the pickup full of dirt from a soil company..Nothing is working. GG Vi

Thanks maybe next year I will try it I have a autistic daughter who took my tomatoes and threw them like baseballs. Can't have flowers sometimes she loves to pluck the petals but I do have green plants. Working with one to try and save it it fell and it took a couple of days before I got around to fixing it back up. So thanks again.

Growing Vegetables in Containers
Growing Vegetables in Containers
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerAugust 14, 2008
Selecting the Right Sized Containers for Growing Vegetables
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
Heirloom Tomato Varieties
Growing Heirloom Vegetables
🎄
🍂