Freezing the Vermin (Pantry Pests)

I hate bugs so I use my freezer to keep away the pantry pests. I mark the date and then freeze all of the cereal, flour, pasta, rice, etc that comes in the house for at least 3 days. I never have problems with vermin in my pantry anymore.

By Ellen

I wonder if that would work for those packets of seasoning mixes? Like taco sauce mix, chili seasoning mix and pasta primavera sauce mix. those are the ones I have the most trouble with.

Curious patsAZ

An employee from a flour factory told me that although modern technology is good, it isn't advanced enough to remove all of the bug eggs. He suggested placing the item in the freezer for 3 days, then removing it and putting it in the cupboard. I thought it might cause flour to clump, but he said it wouldn't. I have been doing this for a few years now. No complaints about buggy flour any more.

Yes it will work.......Corn meal is the worst offender in my house....I won't let it come in the cupboards till it has been frozen for a looong time....I hate cupboard bugs....

Thank you so much for this very useful and thorough, thoughtfully written info! I had been wishing I could have had a mother who was a better housekeeper to teach me, but your site is just great. I'm coming back, again, with many thanks for your thoughtful sharing and economical, ecological approach.

Norma of Lexington, MA

Preventing Pantry Pests
Preventing Pantry Pests
Home and Garden Pest Control Pantry PestsNovember 9, 2004
Cans of Food in a Pantry
Organizing Your Pantry
Stocking a Basic Pantry
Stocking a Basic Pantry
Freezing Eggplants, Eggplants on White Background
Freezing Eggplants