Removing the New Car Smell

I just bought a new car and unfortunately I cannot tolerate the new car smell. Does anyone have any suggestions what to use to remove the new car odor. I am allergic to all chemicals. I've been putting a cup of vinegar in it every night and keep the doors open all day but I took it out today and before I went a mile I had to return home. Any help very much appreciated.

Orva from Toronto, Canada

Go to your Auto Parts Store. Here in Texas we have an O'Reilly's that has something call Ozium, it with the Air fresheners. It will that the smell out, but remove anything like air fresheners before you use it because it will completely remove the fragrance. Good Luck

Cindy: Thank you so much for that tip, I will try Ozium and let you know how I make out with it. Thank you again for the tip.

Orva

If you aren't allergic to essential oils (natural - not chemical) then you can buy a diffuser (wood or terra cotta) and use your favorite fragrance in your car.

My mother in law bought a car previously owned by a veterenarian which smelled of medicines. The dealer suggested putting a half can of coffee granules on the floor in back seat area and light it. I think it worked.

How about spraying the vinegar on the carpet etc and then leaving the doors open? I often spray vinegar on my carpet when the dog has a messy moment. I can't smell the accident or the vinegar.

The new car smell is the product of plastic ingredients effusing out of the vinyl and other plastic surfaces. You can greatly speed up the process by putting a gentle heat source in the car with the windows rolled down 1/4 inch, or park it in hot sun. You can try putting a sealer such as Armor-All on the vinyl, as a barrier to stop the outgassing. Good luck. I don't see how vinegar is going to help, and coffee just gives a nicer scent on top of the plastic smell. hey, whatever works, good luck.