Year Old Puppy is Chewing Everything

A part German Shepherd puppy (about 1 year old, he is pretty big) has shown up and decided he lives with us. The only problem is that he is chewing up everything! I can't stay home and watch him 24/7. We live in the country, so he is free to roam. So far his biggest "meals" have been the wicker bench he sleeps on on my front porch, the rugs, and my flowers. I would like to keep him around, but not at the expense of my things. Now he is trying to chew the screen off my patio door. Help!

By Debbie F

Try to get him some chew toys and there is a spray you can buy to make the no-no things taste bad. put some coins or beans in a can & tape it closed when you catch him chewing something he shouldn't shake or throw the can down & say no. he will associate the sound with the chewing. Then give him his chew thing & say good boy. He'll get it eventually, maybe crate him when you are out so you don't have to worry. GL

I agree with crating him when he's unsupervised and yes, he needs his own things to chew on. They have a very strong chewing urge at this time and need to satiate it. Get some soup bones from the butcher at your store. They love them and will chew on them for hours. It's what saved me and my dog.