Storing Large Kitchen Utensils

Where do you store your kitchen utensils like your large cooking spoons and forks, spatulas, potato masher, can openers, turkey baster, etc.? I have a small kitchen and would like to store them somewhere other than the wall and counter. Do you have any suggestions?

Best Answer

The larger things that I don't use every meal are kept in some otherwise unusable drawers. These little drawers are long, but narrow and not too deep so I have 4 of them full of the larger things.

Best Answer

I keep my large kitchen tools/utensils in a cookie jar minus the lid, right next to my stovetop. Other people on this site have used flower pots painted to match kitchen decor and decorated coffee cans for the same purpose. Be thrifty and be creative!

Best Answer

Why not buy some hooks, the kind that you peel off the back and stick them on. Put them on the back of a door of you cupboards. Put them on a door that is not used that much.

Best Answer

I pick up pretty cookie jars or ice buckets at yard sales and stand the utensils up, setting it on my counter. You can put a lot in, and it comes in handy to dry your plastic bags on (that no meat has been in). Also easy to find what utensil is needed.

I keep them right next to the stove in the largest of my cansisters, minus the top. It has a nice wide opening and is roomy enough to accommodate lots of utensils. Takes up a little bit of counter space, but not that much & I find it handier to have them right there where I need them instead of tucked away in a drawer somewhere.

I keep my cutlery in the top of four drawers by my kitchen sink. In the second drawer I keep all of the larger utensils (spatulas, slotted spoons, tongs, etc.). I did put a second cutlery divider into that drawer also as it keeps them separated somewhat. They're quite tidy, easy to access this way and out of sight until I need them. I don't use them every day as I'm into bulk cooking as often as possible.

I am into antiques and the kitchen is full of crocks so I use them on my counter top for utensils. I also have a very old teapot that I picked up at an antique store that has a wide mouth I put all of my spatulas in it. I have used canisters also in the past. You can get pretty creative if you have some counter space. Good luck.

I have a wash tub that makes a great container. It is oval and no longer than a foot. It is painted white. Holds most of my gadgets involved with cooking. I have way more than I need. I even put my silverware in two beaded containers. I have plastic containers that I placed inside. Forks and case knives in one and spoons and serving spoons in another container. This frees up my drawers to hold other items.

I put them in a round caddy for silverware (they were in fashion a few years ago) and keep it in a cupboard so it doesn't get dusty.

If you can, hang up a pot rack and use "s" hooks to hang them from. I liked the idea of hanging them on the inside of a cabinet door. You know the older style metal towel racks? You could install one of those on the side of your cupboard and hang them from "s" hooks there, too.

If you have a panel from a wire storage cube, hang it on the wall about 1" away from the wall, and hang them from there with, what else..."s" hooks!

Note: "S" hooks are spendy. I like to get the Dollar Tree colored paperclips and turn them opposite from their original shape, and they make great ones for pot holders, utensils, etc. You can color coordinate them, too!

I keep mine in a large plastic pitcher inside the cabinet.

I have been using a large coffee can. I put all my sharp knives in a small can and my large cooking utensils in a large one. I do put mine on a small table I have in my kitchen. I have been keeping my knives in this for years, since my DD was little, to keep her from getting cut (and myself, when I reach into a drawer). She is now almost 8yrs old, and I dont think I will ever go back to putting them in a drawer.

I am in the process of moving my oddly shaped items into a couple of those clear plastic "shoe boxes" that you can get at dollar stores. You can get them at Big Lots or Walmart etc, but at the dollar store they are always just a dollar lol. Anyway, you can see what is in them easily or you can put an itemized list on the end of each one. I just store them in a cabinet. If you have room, you can store them with your casserole dishes/frying pans/pots since you're probably not going to need one without the other anyway :)

I splurged one time and bought matching curtains, towels, and glove shaped potholder. I left my potholder outside by the grill and a mouse nibbled a little hole in the end of the thumb. I did not want to throw away so I hung it up and put my large collection of wooden spoons in it! So cute!

When I had a kitchen where you could literally turn from stove and be at sink, I used heavy duty magnets to hang them inside mt cabinet doors. I hot glued two to holder and two to the door. I used large cans (juicy juice cans). Coffee cans used 3 magnets. I painted my cans, put two coats of polyurethane on them.

I keep mine on a deep windowsill behind my sink. They are in a large coffee can. I find the silhouettes of the various utensils to make an attractive display.

Wooden Utensils in wooden jar
Organizing Kitchen Utensils
Organizing KitchenOctober 10, 2008
Circle of Plastic Forks
Uses for Plastic Utensils
Dirty Dishes in Sink
Cleaning Kitchen Utensils
Fabric Kitchen Angel
Making a Kitchen Angel
Kitchen Utensils
Using Kitchen Utensils in Unusual Ways
🎉
🎄