Getting Cooking Smell out of Uniforms

I need help trying to get the smell of food out of my clothes! I am in the Navy and cook over 1000 meals a day. I have tried the over night soaking in fabric softener, even washing 2-3 times, I have used many different detergents but the smell comes back. Can anyone help, my uniforms smell horrible and frankly so do I?

Hi,

Have you tried soaking them in baking soda and/or white vinegar and using the hottest water that is safe for the fabric? The reason the smell doesn't come out of your clothing is that it picks up grease spatters. You have to get the grease out to get rid of the smell. You might also try a product called soda ash. I'm not sure where to get it these days, but it is commonly used on clothing by oilfield workers. Borax is something else you can try, it is found in the laundry product aisle of grocery stores. Or you might try getting hold of some Fulsol, made by Fuller Brush. It is concentrated, so mix it with water and soak the garments. Another thing I have used is waterless hand cleaner to remove grease and it works pretty well. It's also cheap; you can get it for about $1.00 a can at Wal-Mart or the Dollar Store. For a bad spot, I use an old toothbrush to rub it in. Let sit, then wash in the hottest water that is safe for the material. Hope some of these ideas help.

Mary

I don't have the answer I have the same problem. A cloth with cooking oil got in the laundry and the clothes smell. I too have tryed everything. Does anything really work. Did something above work for you??

I tryed everything. Nothing worked. However, then I tryed Lestoil. Had not used it in years but it worked. Only a little in the washer with detergent and soaked and washed them. Then had to wash them again in detergent and a little bleach to get rid of the Lestoil smell. So only need to use a little bit. They came out clean smelling finally. (I used the no scent detergent seemed to work better than mixing smells) FINALLY SMELL CLEAN THOUGH.

children put a garlic in the tumble dryer and it stinks of garlic washed the clothes 7 time and also with vinger how do u get rid of the smell please help

Hottest setting on washer, Tide w/ Bleach and 3/4 to 1 cup of Simple Green cleaner/de-greaser. Works Wonders.

Pile of stinky clothing.
Getting Cooking Oil Smell Out of Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryFebruary 24, 2004
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Washing Sports Uniforms
Washing Sports Uniforms
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Girl in a grey school uniform.
Saving Money on School Uniforms
🎉
🎄