Ecology Bread

This is the best and one of the easiest bread recipes. It is a great healthy bread that also freezes well, if you have any left over to freeze! I found this recipe in a copy of Guideposts, the recipe was submitted in a story by Joel Bastille. He calls the bread Ecology Bread.

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil (I used canola oil instead)
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 package dry yeast or 1 tsp. yeast (I used the quick rise Red Star packet)
  • 4 1/2 cups flour (I prefer King Arthur Brand flour)

Combine water, milk, and oil in pan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add the oats, then stir. Cool to lukewarm. Pour into mixing bowl and add salt, molasses and yeast. Beat for 2 minutes. Add flour, a little at a time.

Remove from bowl. Knead 8 to 10 minutes on a lightly floured counter top. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl, I put a little butter on a paper towel and grease the bowl. Cover the bread with a clean cloth and let rise till doubled.

Punch down. Divide into two loaves. Let rise again in bread pans. Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.

Honestly, this is the best bread. Try it and I am pretty sure you will make it often, in fact, I just made two loaves of it myself, which inspired me to share the recipe.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Thanks Bobbie, this sounds really good! I almost never make bread my bread machine can't mix but I think I'll make an exception for this one. I usually use the machine on the dough cycle and bake the loaves on a bread stone, but some breads just work better in pans. I'll bet this stuff is great when sinfully buttered and fried, then covered with honey or jam.

Hi Bobbie: I made the bread and had just one problem - the dough was extremely sticky and hard to knead. Did I do something wrong, or is this normal? However, the bread turned out great and I am NOT a breadmaker! I will certainly make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

This bread is good. I halved the recipe for 1 loaf, and mixed it in the bread machine on the dough cycle. I used 1 cup rye flour, and 1 1/4 cups regular flour. Because it was very sticky, I sprayed the pan, the dough and my hands with cooking spray .After I let it rise once, it baked for 30 minutes at 375.

I made this bread a couple of times and LOVE this bread!

I cut out the recipe from the Guideposts magazine and have it now in a Ziplock baggie to protect it from getting messy.

This bread got me over my FEAR of using YEAST!

The directions were spelled out so well. Easy to follow!

This is a bread I feel good eating!

Delicious every time!

Hey, this is my husband's bread recipe! Glad you like it! Just for the record, he was interviewed for the article and it was written from his perspective, but he did not actually write the article. (he is forever haunted by the "tiny fists")

He was recently diagnosed with celiac disease so if anyway succesfully adjusts this recipe to be wheat/gluten free let us know! (that means no oats, wheat flour, etc.)

Holy Cow! This is an awesome bread recipe. Delicious and so super easy. My 2 year old son loves to knead the bread with me. How much fun for both of us. Thanks so much for this post!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsJuly 13, 2006
The back of a red hybrid car.
Environmentally Friendly Driving Tips
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread