Skunk Smell in a Mud Puddle

I had a dead skunk in a really big puddle on my property and the dog keeps getting in the water and she stinks. She always goes back to the spot and I can't fill in the puddle, it's way too big. How can I get the smell out of the water?

Carol from Ontario

How about pouring several cans of tomato juice in the puddle. It may discourage the dog as well as kill the smell.

There is a homemade remedy on the internet, it's got hydrogen peroxide, dish soap and not sure what else, you could google it. It's what you can put on your pet after it gets sprayed. Maybe you could pour that right into the puddle.

you can clean fish ponds in yards with oat straw. i'd get a bale of it and toss it in the puddle.

is there any way to cut a drainage ditch to the puddle? if you burn wood you might try tossing wood ashes in there. it would be muddy but less smelly.

I recommend using chlorine bleach in the puddle. That should keep the dog away, too.

The hydrogen peroxide dish soap works wonderfully, as my lab loves to smell like a skunk.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceNovember 26, 2006
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk in the Grass
Removing Skunk Smell from House
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎄