Making Mittens Out of Wool Sweaters

How to make mittens from sweaters? Any ideas?

By appletime from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Google mittens felted sweaters [images] and dive in. There's a lot of info on how to do it. Not hard. Working with wool is so much fun. I was preparing a fleece for spinning just this morning at 5AM. That's how much I love it.

The way I made them many years ago for my kids was to lay their hand on the waistband of an old sweater. In fact, I bought the sweaters in thrift shops to save money.

Place their wrist on the waist band, and use that as the cuff of the mitten. With chalk or marker, draw a line around the thumb and then the fingers, starting at the edge of the sweater where the wrist is positioned. Pin both thicknesses of the sweater together just inside the line. Then sew with the sewing machine using a fairly small stitch, on the line. After sewing, cut the mitten outside the stitching. Turn seam to inside if you like.

Harlean from Arkansas

Here's a link for making wool mittens: ... om/2008/12/wool-sweater-mittens.html

I tried doing these myself once and they just didn't come out quite right. I ended up buying some awesome ones online though at I would definitely recommend them if you don't find a good pattern that works for you. I think they boiled the mittens first before they cut out the pattern. That seems to make them softer and warmer.

December 2, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to make mittens (for decorations) from old sweaters? Thanks and Merry Christmas!

By Kathy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Where you go on internet to search, type: Patterns for Sweater Mittens. There are many, there is one where you can make a child's mittens from the sleeves using the cuffs of the arms. Good luck!

Wow, I just read how to do this on another site, here's a link:

I love FrugalLiving at, I found ThriftyFun through a post on the FrugalLiving forum years ago.

September 27, 2009 Flag

I would like information on using wool sweaters to make mittens.

Margo from Columbus

Making Mittens Out of Wool Sweaters

Check out for making mittens out of felted wool sweaters.

Patricia (01/15/2008)

By Patricia

Making Mittens Out of Wool Sweaters

This project was on Martha Stewart Crafts recently. Go to, click at the top of the page on Television and Video, then click on the left side Martha Stewart Crafts TV. It is in Episode 101. I don't sew, but it looked quite simple. Good luck. (01/16/2008)

By Happy05

Making Mittens Out of Wool Sweaters

There were also directions on for mittens and matching hat in December. (01/16/2008)

By pamphyila

Crafts MiscellaneousSeptember 27, 2009
Recycle Sweaters into Scarves
Recycling Sweaters into Scarves
Photo of felt mittens.
Making Felt Mittens
Knitted Sweaters
Making a Liner for a Knitted Sweater
Removing Lint from Sweaters