Trouble Painting Laminate Counter Top

I need some help. I painted my countertops with granite spray and used a water based poly on top (4 coats). That was 3 days ago. They feel dry to the touch, but are soft enough to leave marks.

What can I do to fix this problem? There is also a few milky streaks when you look just right in the light. Anyone know why? I waited the 2 hours in between that it suggested. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

By Janmarie from IA

For future reference, when painting standard counter tops you should use a product specifically for that purpose. Here's a link to a DIYer that used Rustoleum's counter top paint:

http://christen  countertops.html

I have no advice on the current problem though.

If your granite spray is an oil-based paint, that could be the problem. Putting a water-based paint over an oil-based paint can cause bubbling and peeling. If your paint store has knowledgeable employees, they might know how to solve your problem.

I painted my laminate countertops. I did my 14 foot long countertops and they came out good. I started doing my 4 foot counter and disaster hit. I believe i did the same technique as the other countertops. I sand then apply the minwax polycrylic and it keeps crackling. I let it dry for 24 hours then sand down again and the same thing happens when I apply another coat. I have repeated these steps 4 times already.

I believe the coats of clear coat were not fully dry because there was very hot and humid weather even though to the touch it was dry. My question is should I leave the countertop alone for about a week then sand it down then apply the polycrylic or should I sand it down now then wait a week to apply the polycrylic? I'm figuring maybe I could give it some time for the under coats to get hard.

Please help!

painting a countertop
Painting a Laminate Counter Top
Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceOctober 26, 2009
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
RE: Painting Counter Tops To Look Like Granite
Painting Counter Tops to Look Like Granite
Painted laminate countertop.
New Countertops for Less Than $100
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 9:19:35 AM on 10.0.0.230 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.