Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Does anyone have any suggestions for killing wild onions? I have tried many things and they just get worse. Digging them up, works I know, but I have a lot of them in my 2 acre lot.

By Jerry from north TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Wild onions, though not a horse's best friend does have it's uses besides using tops like chives. They are not liked by most fire ants and they put nutrients in soil. Tilling and then adding Round Up works.

Brenda (Alabama)

I love these things. They fill my flower garden up with the little white flowers. They also help with the weeds. Jenny

Can you borrow a goat?

The old timers say to cut your lawn on a full moon when the onion are growing ( in the day time ). This is suppose to rid your yard of wild onions.

Par III. You can usually purchase this or something like it at your local feed store. Do not waste your time with Weed-B-Gone because the active ingredients are such a small percentage of the product that you will have to buy it in bulk (which is the point). 2-4,D is what you are looking for. Your yard will look like a golf course in no time.

Both wild onions and wild garlic prefer to grow in acidic soils that are low in organic matter. Applying lime to the soil will increase the organic matter and change the pH to levels that are inhospitable to wild alliums. Be careful to not apply lime near acid-loving plants such as rhododendrons or azaleas.

If you are not opposed to using chemical herbicides, look for a post-emergent herbicide that can be applied to the wild garlic or wild onions. Do not use a preemergent herbicide as this will have no effect on the underground bulbs. Before applying an herbicide to the wild alliums, it is helpful to mow the plants to rough up their foliage and increase their ability to absorb the herbicide. Once the herbicide has been applied, do not mow again for at least two weeks

Answer

This works fast, safe, and cheap. Get gallons of white vinegar, and give each clump of wild onions a small drink. Too much will just "run off" and be wasted. Now the soil is wet so it will absorb better. Give each clump a larger drink.

In a day or two, they will be flat on the ground. More vinegar may not be needed; but I like to give a last drink to be sure. My idea is the acid kills the roots; so don't bother with the green stalks.

Source: I did an experiment with different safe household solutions.

by kimairanne from Smithtown, NY

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Do as the Indians! Get rid of them by eating this freely growing food source! Use a small spade to dig them out of the ground. Soak in a tub of cool water to pre-clean. Rinse thoroughly until free of dirt and debris, cutting the ends off as you would green onions. Melt bacon grease in a pan and saute until they start to get tender, add beaten eggs into the pan, moving around the pan like cooking scrambled eggs. Salt and pepper to taste. This will help you get rid of them in no time! (04/22/2010)

By kgroblewski

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know the best chemical spray to use on wild Onions or wild Garlic? I used IMAGE and it did not seem to work, I even doubled the mixing instructions. It is labeled for Onions and I added "blue marking dye". I need to get rid of these before the grass starts to come back strong.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

T.M. from Meridian, MS

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Good Luck, I have been fighting what looks like wild onions for 40 years-but have discovered they are not- they are called snow drops and they are a flowering bulb like onions. They were brought over from Europe many many years ago. they have small white blooms in clusters and they appear in early spring and bloom for a month of two and die out turning yellow on the tops.

They reappear the following spring and every spring there after-and after- I have never had anything that would kill them- not even a total kill- move is my suggestion- :) You would think a weed killer for onions would get rid of them but they don't. (03/20/2009)

By Pat W.

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

To get rid of wild onions, I use 2-4-D Amine #4 with a surfactant in a hand held pump sprayer. I use 3 oz of 2-4-D with one oz of surfactant to one gallon of water. This works great in Guntersville AL. (03/30/2009)

By Dr T

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to get rid of wild onions in lawns without having to dig them up? That's not practical. The space is about 3/4- 1 acre, riding lawnmower doesn't kill them and garden poison doesn't either. They are not fit to eat. They look like chives or bunching onions. Sure hope someone has an answer.

Thanks. Great granny Vi

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Just curious. Are these wild onions what they consider to be wild leeks? If so, put up an ad because around here, people go wild for them. Excuse the pun, but I'm serious. They are incredible pickled and are a natural antibiotic. Once dug up, they won't return.
(03/12/2005)

By Donna Marie

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Round-UP will kill anything! (03/12/2005)

By Linda

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Round-up will also kill off all the grass if this is a lawn they are growing in.
(03/13/2005)

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I was told to put a thin dusting of lawn lime to get rid of wild onions, I have not tried it yet.
(04/04/2005)

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Do your wild onions sprout a 4-5 leaf white flower? I have what looks to be the same thing in my yard and they are multiplying rapidly every year. If I dig up the whole plant it seems to work, otherwise if I pull off the tops they are like rabbits breeding. I can't spray Round Up because they are in my flower beds also. (04/17/2005)

By linifan

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Has anyone heard that there is a certain day in the spring that if you mow the green onions they will not come back? (03/17/2006)

By Kathy.

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I have been told that the only way to stop wild onions is to dig them up. Round up will not even stop them.
(03/03/2007)

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I contacted a local nursery that has been in business for over 2 decades, they recommended a product called Weed Out. The only problem is that Lowe's and Home Depot do not sell it. The only place that we have found it at is Espisito's, a 2 hour drive from our home. (03/09/2007)

By wendy

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

My daughter just called me yesterday and asked how to get rid of wild onions. I told her Roundup, but to keep from killing things around, apply it using rubber gloves and a sponge. Rubbing vigorously will break the wax on the leaves and get better results. One lady mentioned her neighbors' onions smelling loud. The only way they will smell that way is if they are crushed or mowed. Mowing makes them smell wonderful and want to fry up a mess. (03/23/2007)

By Andrew

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Weed-be-Gone will kill wild onions, but you have to spray in early spring when they are tender and growing rapidly. It works really well on young bunches. On mature bunches you may have to mow over them and spray in about 4 days when they have 4-6 inches of new growth. Wild onions do come back over time, from neighboring property etc., but this works for about 2-3 years. (03/24/2007)

By J.C.

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I put on a heavy rubber glove and with a sponge doused in no less than 50/50 water and Round-up, I start at the roots and sponge the round up on the onions. They die pretty quickly and it only took me 2 springs to kill the entire yard of onions. It was time consuming the first time, but going back and only picking on the ones that didn't turn yellow was the way I got rid of them. That is now my system for undesirables. Spot kill. (03/27/2007)

By onion fields no more

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I've gotten rid of them in two ways. Both work wonderfully. The second is a bit easier than the first.

The first time I got rid of them I dug them up. A whole yard full of them. 12" down. A yard of 20 by 45. I had the dirt hauled away. Had new brought in from 40 miles away. Gorgeous plan & it worked.

The second time I got rid of a much smaller batch, though still quite large. I used a great chemical killer. It wiped them all out, and their future relatives, in 2 applications. Bravo for chemicals in this case.

Good luck folks.
(04/02/2007)

By Chico Tim

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I read that you can cut your lawn and a week later cut your grass again. I tried this and guess what, it really works. I cut my grass. In six days I cut my grass again. Five days later I cut my grass again. Now I don't have wild onions and I have not cut my grass in a month. Please note that I did not use chemicals. (06/20/2007)

By E Holt

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Dig them up. Wash them. Saute` them with wild morels. Eat them. (09/16/2007)

By john

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

There is a product called "Image" manufactured by Amdro, that will do the trick. (09/17/2007)

By Bill

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I read where you could mow wild onions when the Zodiac sign was in the heart, in 2007 the dates were March 17,18,19. I tried that last year, the onions did not come back for a year, but they started back in December, 2007. Not sure how to kill them. (03/04/2008)

By walter

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

We have dug them up several times and they still return. Thanks for the tips in these feedback. (03/07/2008)

By Martha

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Could you try boiling water or a steamer with a long extension cord? No chemicals and it might work. Heard it works for crabgrass and weeds coming through sidewalks. (03/07/2008)

By kibby

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I hate these doggone things. They are completely taking over my yard. Ah! I did some research online and found a lawn, landscape and gardening website at: www.stwebsite.com that has a link and an answer to my prayers. "Kill Wild Onions, Wild Garlic, and Wild Leeks". I will give this a try. I have tried everything else. I might simply resort to eating them. Up to now that seems to be the only thing that they might be good for. LOL (03/09/2008)

By Spear7

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

I sprayed Round Up in the bottle all season one time and it did nothing but picker the smooth leaves. We took the whole summer once and removed every plant, and I mean every one, but obviously there were bulbs left. We've learned to live with them. They appear in March and are gone by May. Our dense St. Augustine lawn hides them in summer. (03/22/2008)

By Kevin

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Go to any farm store (like TSC if you have one in your town/city)or seed store and ask for 2,4-D. You can only buy it in 1 quart size which is more than anyone needs for their yard. Any size above that you need a special license. It will wipe out wild onions and most other unwanted weeds in your yard. It killed most of the onions in my yard with one spraying and after a second round they were all gone for the summer. Very few came back this spring and you can spot treat those. (04/06/2008)

By Mark

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

Do the tops turn an orange-yellow color when it gets warm? We just got 2 or 3 days of 75-80 degree weather and the lawn is a mess. I'm still not sure what I have in my yard. (05/26/2008)

By Dave

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

A 2-4-D based weed control will get them eventually. It make need two applications two weeks apart. You should add a surfactant to the mix to help it stick to the onions better. You will get better control. 2-4-d is the common AI in many selective broad leaf weed controls. (10/05/2008)

By wade

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

The safest is to mow every 3 to 5 days, two or three times. This injures the plant enough to kill the deep bulbs/roots. No showing plant, no photosynthesis equals no plant.

Chemical is costlier and still safe. Speedzone mixed at 1 to 1.5 ounces to 1 gallon of water, sprayed at 7-14 day intervals 2 or 3 times. Let dry at least one hour before letting children or pets on lawn. Turf is safe when sprayed, not doused. (10/11/2008)

By dtkb

Getting Rid Of Wild Onions

To All,

I have the same problem in my yard. I believe what I have though is wild garlic and not wild onion. However, as an internet buff and an anti-wild whatever they are, I found a site that seemed to help me: www.killwildonions.com. I love looking for something, and simply adding the ".com" at the end. Worked for me. Just thought I would add my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Steve (01/25/2009)

By Spear7

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsFebruary 20, 2011
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Wild Onions
Eating Wild Onion
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 8:59:01 PM on 10.0.2.192 in 927 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.