Browsing: Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

1994 Ford Ranger Heater is Not Working

My 94 Ranger has a heater problem that I can not figure out. First off the the temp gauge does the windshield wiper thing, up and down, up and down. To make matters worse, often there is no heat. I have changed the thermostat and that didn't help. The top hose from the radiator does get warm, sometimes the heater hose gets hot. I've flushed the system once already. Any ideas?

Richard from Waterford, CT

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Sounds remotely like a possible plugged heater core, to flush take both heater hoses off and flush with a garden hose.

Best Answer

You could check for a broken head gasket. Check the oil on the dip stick and see if there is any water mixing with the oil. Or take it to your mechanic and he will check the oil.

Best Answer

My husband had the same problem with our 93 Ranger. Several years ago, after driving for 2 Chicago winters with no heat (he tried all the usual stuff), I suggested he SOAK the heater core in CLR over night. Then he flushed it SEVERAL times with clear water, reinstalled it and it still works fine! He is toasty warm...of course NOW the Air Conditioner does not work...but his window does!

I have the same problem with my 93 Ranger. Did the core flushing and all new coolent, but the temp gauge still does not climb to where it should be. Don't think there is any air trap in anywhere. Had put a new t-stat in about 3/4 of a year ago, so it should still be good, Right? Starting to get cold up here, so heat would be nice. Any ideas where to look next?

Snow Covered Truck
Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceDecember 1, 2008
Car Radiator
Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems
Using a Water Heater Timer
Using a Water Heater Timer
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 7:10:40 AM on 10.0.1.13 in 416 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.