Browsing: Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems

1994 Ford Ranger Heater is Not Working

My 94 Ranger has a heater problem that I can not figure out. First off the the temp gauge does the windshield wiper thing, up and down, up and down. To make matters worse, often there is no heat. I have changed the thermostat and that didn't help. The top hose from the radiator does get warm, sometimes the heater hose gets hot. I've flushed the system once already. Any ideas?

Richard from Waterford, CT

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Sounds remotely like a possible plugged heater core, to flush take both heater hoses off and flush with a garden hose.

Best Answer

You could check for a broken head gasket. Check the oil on the dip stick and see if there is any water mixing with the oil. Or take it to your mechanic and he will check the oil.

Best Answer

My husband had the same problem with our 93 Ranger. Several years ago, after driving for 2 Chicago winters with no heat (he tried all the usual stuff), I suggested he SOAK the heater core in CLR over night. Then he flushed it SEVERAL times with clear water, reinstalled it and it still works fine! He is toasty warm...of course NOW the Air Conditioner does not work...but his window does!

I have the same problem with my 93 Ranger. Did the core flushing and all new coolent, but the temp gauge still does not climb to where it should be. Don't think there is any air trap in anywhere. Had put a new t-stat in about 3/4 of a year ago, so it should still be good, Right? Starting to get cold up here, so heat would be nice. Any ideas where to look next?

Wires must be crossed

Looking at some of these very strange answers, I thought I might need to say something. Here are some things to pay attention to when it comes to your heater... If you turn on the heat and it does not blow, check the fuse, then there are several other things to check, fan motor could be bad or you may have had something sucked up onto the fan to stop it, fan switch could be bad, the resistor could be bad. Now this resistor is usually on the AC case under the hood, (also if you fan only blows on high, it is a bad resistor).

Problems with heat direction, a lot of newer cars and trucks use vacuum to work the blend doors and actuators, check for vacuum leaks. People in very cold climates, some times you need to block off portions of your radiator to allow you cooling system to heat up enough. Your heater works today but not tomorrow, you got a shorted circuit or a bad switch. Heater hoses get hot but heater only blows cold, you got a blend door problem. Trying to conserve fuel, don't ride around with your defroster on, it runs the AC to dry the windshield, turn on the defroster only when you need it.

!!!!FREON DOES NOT GO BAD!!! If you AC compressor will not come on, most likely it is low on Freon, meaning Freon leak! Getting someone to add Freon does not solve the problem. Fix the leak, fix the problem. That little sensor on the silver bottle under the hood turns off your compressor when it doesn't have enough Freon. Go right ahead and get Mr. Shadetree to put a jumper wire on that for you so the AC works again. Just be prepared to buy another $400 compressor, $70 dryer, $30 filter tube, and of course $15 per pound of 134a or $30 per pound of the old stuff. Hope this helps!

1996 ford ranger.New Thermastart Top hose hot Hoses to the core warm, bottom hose is not

Snow Covered Truck
Troubleshooting Truck Heater Problems
Consumer Advice Cars Repair AdviceDecember 1, 2008
Car Radiator
Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems
Using a Water Heater Timer
Using a Water Heater Timer
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger Heater Not Working
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 26, 2016 at 11:31:27 PM on 10.0.1.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.